University of Maine Cooperative Extension is a host site for FoodCorps, a national program whose mission is to combat childhood obesity through school gardens, nutrition education, and healthy food access. FoodCorps recruits young leaders for a year of public service to build school gardens and get fresh, local food into schools, while also giving these members the skills to be our next generation of farmers and public health leaders.
Our Maine FoodCorps team works on a variety of projects with schools in their service site areas such as:
- building and tending school gardens,
- conducting cooking and gardening programs with students,
- assisting school nutrition staff with local food procurement, and
- providing educational outreach related to agriculture, health, and nutrition.
Learn more about our Maine FoodCorps Service Members and their projects.
UMaine Extension is working with the following community partners to provide service sites for FoodCorps members. These partners have a history of working together to build the Farm to School movement in Maine.
- Cultivating Community (Portland)
- St. Mary’s Nutrition Center (Lewiston)
- Healthy Communities of the Capital Area (Gardiner)
- Washington County: One Community, in partnership with Healthy Acadia (Machias)
- Roberts Farm Land Preserve, in partnership with Oxford Public Schools (Norway)
- Rippling Waters Organic Farm (Standish)
- Regional School Unit #3 (Liberty)
- University of Maine Cooperative Extension Penobscot and Piscataquis Counties (Bangor)
- University of Maine Cooperative Extension Knox and Lincoln Counties (Waldoboro)
- University of Maine Cooperative Extension Somerset County, in partnership with Greater Somerset Public Health Collaborative (Skowhegan)
For more information about Maine FoodCorps, contact our Host Site Supervisor for the Maine FoodCorps Team:
Ellie Libby, Extension Educator
University of Maine Cooperative Extension in Knox & Lincoln Counties
377 Manktown Road, Waldoboro, ME 04572
Phone: 207.832.0343 x 118 Fax: 207.832.0377, firstname.lastname@example.org
FoodCorps is a national school garden and Farm to School service program.