Tick Identification Lab
With 14 different tick species found in Maine, identification can be difficult. We offer a fast, accurate tick identification resource to get your tick identified as soon as possible.
- How to Submit a Tick for ID | How to Find Us
- Tick Species of Maine | Tick Photos
- Tick Biology | Tick Removal | Tick Management (for people and pets)
- Tick-Borne Diseases (courtesy of the Maine Medical Center Research Institute)
- Additional Resources (External Links)
Our Tick ID Lab does not currently test tick specimens for diseases.
In November of 2014, Maine voters approved a bond referendum that will enable the building of a new lab for in-state disease testing of tick specimens. Visit the following site to explore the many additional ways this new Animal/Plant Disease and Insect Control Laboratory will benefit Maine: extension.umaine.edu/newlab/