Beef Program at the Maine Agricultural Trades Show
Beef Production Information
- Maine Beef Newsletter Sign-up, News and events of interest to beef producers in Maine from the University of Maine Cooperative Extension, Maine Department of Agriculture, Maine Beef Producers, and other agriculture organizations in Maine.
- Agricultural Alternatives, Penn State University. Includes fact sheets on Beef Backgrounding Production, Beef Cow-Calf Production, Dairy Beef, and Feeding Beef Cattle.
- Iowa Beef Center, Iowa State University
- Nebraska Beef Cattle Production, University of Nebraska Lincoln. Includes learning modules, beef home study course, current Ag prices, profit tips, beef forum and more.
- Kentucky Beef Book, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
- U of M Beef Center, University of Minnesota
- Montana Beef Cattle Extension Program, Montana State University
- Oklahoma State University Beef Fact Sheets, over 120 publications on all aspects of beef production
- Raising Beef Cattle on a Few Acres, Utah State University. Good for backyard beef.
Beef Health Information
Pasture and Crops for Beef Production
- Grazing Guide, Northeast Pasture Consortium
- Maine Hay Directory, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
- Maine Pasture Management Course, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
- Maine Straw Directory, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
- UMaine Analytical Lab, Soil and Manure Testing, University of Maine
- Dairy One, Forage and Feed Analysis
4-H Youth Program Information
- Maine 4-H Beef Projects and Programs, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
Buildings and Equipment for Beef
- Beef Housing and Equipment Handbook, Bulletin #1001, Mid West Plan Service, University of Maine Cooperative Extension: Information on cow-calf, cattle handling, and cattle feeding facilities; feed storage, processing and handling; water and waterers; manure management; farmstead planning, building construction, materials, ventilation and insulation; fences; gates and utilities. 133 pages with index, 1986. $15
- Dr. Temple Grandin’s website, Livestock Behavior, Design of Facilities, and Humane Slaughter
Farm Taxes & Recordkeeping
- Maine Sales Tax Forms, Maine Revenue Services site with tax exempt applications, affidavits and refund forms for agriculture producers
- Maine Current Land Use Property Tax Programs, Maine Farmland Tax Law Information, Marketing Information
- Beef Marketing Alternatives, ATTRA, National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service
- Resource Guide to Direct Marketing Livestock and Poultry, Small Farms Program, Cornell University — a 155-page guide available for free online or $3 for CD or $8 for hard copy.
- Agriculture Marketing Resource Center — Beef Direct Marketing, includes a link to the Farm to Fork: A Direct-to-the-Consumer Marketing Handbook
- How to Direct Market Your Beef — Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)
- Maine Beef Producers Feeder Calf Sales Page — Includes preconditioning protocol.
USDA Marketing News and Standards
- Livestock Standards, USDA standards for grades of feeder and slaughter cattle
- Livestock Grades, USDA Posters on frame size, yield grade and quality grade
- Market News — Livestock Cattle Reports, USDA Agriculture Marketing Service. Includes slaughter cattle and feeder & replacement cattle auction prices reported.
Beef Quality Assurance
- Beef Quality Assurance, Beef Quality Assurance is a national program that provides guidelines for beef cattle production. The program raises consumer confidence through offering proper management techniques and a commitment to quality within every segment of the beef industry. There are links to video training on BQA at this site.
- Pennsylvania Beef Quality Assurance
Maine Beef Related Organizations
- Maine Beef Industry Council, Maine Beef Checkoff. They have a number of direct sales brochures that you can use to help educate your customers on caring for and using their beef purchases.
- Maine Beef Producers Association
- Maine Grass Farmers Network
Extension Beef Contact Person: Donna.Coffin@maine.edu, 207.564.3301 or in Maine 1.800.287.1491