Equine - Maine Equine Welfare Alliance
Visit the New Website at http://www.maineequinewelfarealliance.com/
This organization was started as a result of State of Maine Legislative Resolve #458 – Directing the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Resources to Study Equine Husbandry Practices.
The Maine Equine Welfare Alliance was formed to help people needing assistance to provide for their equines and to save as many equines as possible through direct assistance, foster care, emergency assistance, and public education.
We do not engage in controversial dialogue over issues that divide us. Divisiveness, blame, and pointless conflict are discouraged. Rather, we remain focused on ideas and solutions.
- Chair: Michelle Melaragno, email@example.com
- Temporary Secretary: Katie Lisnik, firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 207-756-2570
- Temporary Web Author: Donna Coffin, email@example.com
At the June meeting we decided to make July 1st our yearly start date for membership fees. If you want to be a voting member, please complete this MEWA membership form and send with dues to:
Maine Farm Bureau
4 Gabriel Drive, Suite 1
Augusta, ME 04330
Attention: Jon Olson
Checks should be made payable to Maine Equine Welfare Alliance. Basic membership is $10.00- other levels are listed on the form.
- March 31, 2010 Minutes: in Word MEWCMinutes3-31-10 and in PDF MEWCMinutes3-31-10
- April 21, 2010 Minutes: corrected in Word MEWCMinutes4-21-10a and in PDF MEWCMinutes4-21-10a
- Survey to sign up for sub-committees: http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07e2tw9834g7i71c09/start
- May 19, 2010 Minutes: in Word MEWCMinutes5-19-10 and in PDF MEWCMinutes5-19-10
- June 22, 2010 Minutes: in Word MEWA Minutes 6-16-2010 and in PDF MEWA Minutes 6-16-2010
- July 14, 2010 Minutes: in Word MEWAMinutes7-14-2010 and in PDF MEWAMinutes7-14-2010
- August 18, 2010 Minutes: in Word MEWAMinutes8-18-10 and in PDF MEWAMinute8-18-2010
- September 15, 2010 Minutes: in Word MEWAMinutes9-15-10 and in PDF MEWAMinute9-15-2010
- October 20, 2010 Minutes: in Word MEWAMinutes10-20-10 and in PDF October_2010_MEWA_minutes
News of Interest:
The United States Trotting Association (USTA) has created a program to help provide financial support for registered Standardbreds that come in to the care of animal control authorities due to neglect, abuse or abandonment. The program is called SOS — Support Our Standardbreds. Financial support may include board, feed, veterinary care, farrier and dental work and placement for adoption and long term follow up. Horses in need must be in the legal control of an animal control agency vested with the authority to remove hoses from the care of their owner. For more information and for applications, contact Ellen Harvey at 732-780-3700 or HRCNews@ustrotting.com.
- Oregon Horse Welfare Council has a very active group that we have used as a basis for some of our ideas for starting this organization.
Future Meeting Dates:
Shortened web address:
- http://bit.ly/MaineEquineWelfareAlliance is a shorter web address that links to this site. It may be easier for folks to remember.