7 County Drive, Skowhegan, ME 04976-4209
Kathryn Hopkins has worked for the University of Maine Cooperative Extension in a variety of capacities from 1993 to the present. Since 1997, she has been an educator in the UMaine Cooperative Extension — Somerset County Office and has been responsible for Agriculture and Natural Resources programming in her county and statewide. As part of her responsibilities, Kathy serves as a statewide resource for the Maine maple syrup industry and coordinates UMaine Cooperative Extension’s Renewable Resources Extension Act. She coordinates and presents trainings and workshops; authors educational material and conducts research on maple syrup sap and syrup production issues. She is one of the creators of the IMSI Maple Grading School that has been presented annually since 2004.
- Degree: M. Ed. Discipline: Science Education (Concentration in Environmental Science) Institution: University of Maine Date Completed: August 1996.
- Degree: B.S. Discipline: Plant and Soil Science Institution: University of Maine Date Completed: May 1977.
- 2013: CITI UMS Financial Conflict of Interest, Stage 1
- 2010: CITI Research on Human Subjects certification
- 1997 to present: ME Private Pesticide Applicator’s License
- 2008 to present: International Maple Syrup Institute, Director
- 2002 to present: North American Maple Syrup Council, Associate Director
- 1999 to present: Maine Maple Producers Association
- 1999 to present: Maine Organic Farmers, & Gardeners Association Organic Maple Committee
- 1997 to present: National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA), Secretary for Maine Association of County Agriculture Agents