28 Center Street, Machias, Maine 04654
Dr. Bassano is an Extension professor with the University of Maine Cooperative Extension. He joined the faculty in 1980. His work has focused on developing programs that support communities, small business development, and community-based entrepreneurship.
Dr. Bassano has a strong interest and expertise in food entrepreneurship and most recently his work has been devoted to enhancing opportunities for people to start or expand a specialty food business through Extension’s Recipe to Market Program, which he organizes and co-teaches with colleagues.
In addition, Dr. Bassano has organized and presented workshops on business planning, marketing, financing, and pricing. Dr. Bassano offers free business counseling to individuals wishing to start or expand an existing business.
Dr. Bassano is active on local, regional and national committees that support small business. He has been a key member of the Statewide Steering Committee for the Governor’s Regional Conferences on Small Business & Entrepreneurship. He is a founding member of the Hancock County Business Conference and Trade Show. Also, Dr. Bassano serves on the Loan Review Committee for Eastern Maine Development and has served as a National Team Member of eXtension’s Entrepreneurs and their Communities Community of Practice.
Dr. Bassano’s research interest is in assessing the impact of programs that are designed to enhance small business growth in a region. He has published articles on community-based entrepreneurship in Journal of Extension and presented numerous papers at professional conferences describing the impact of his work.
In 2008 he received the Excellence in Community Development Programming Team Award and the Educational Technology Team Award from the National Association of Community Extension Development Professionals. In 2005, the U.S. Small Business Administration recognized Dr. Bassano as Maine’s Home-Based Business Champion for his leadership in developing a model for enhancing entrepreneurship across Maine.
- 1987 Ph.D., Adult and Extension Education, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland; Dissertation: Perceptions of Organizational Climate, Job Satisfaction and Job Performance
- 1975 M.S., Ornamental Horticulture and Landscape Design, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee; Thesis: Marketing Ornamental Plants in Non-traditional Outlets in the Memphis Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area
- 1974 B.S., Plant Science, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware
- 1971 B.S., Business Administration/Accounting, Delaware State College, Dover, Delaware
- The Basics of Specialty Food, June, 2015
- Specialty Food Association, June, 2015
- National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals
- Specialty Food Association
- Ellsworth Noontime Rotary