Who can use Maine AgrAbility?
AgrAbility is designed to assist owners, operators, managers, employees and family members of farm, fishing or forestry businesses.
What is a chronic health condition or disability?
Any condition that prevents you from working in agriculture, the way that you used to, or in the way you need to in order to be successful. AgrAbility clients have a broad array of conditions, including, but not limited to:
- Back pain and injury
- Hearing loss
- Vision related issues
- Spinal cord injury
- Respiratory problems
- Heart conditions
- Head injury
Does my chronic health condition or disability need to result from farming in order for me to qualify for AgrAbility?
How can AgrAbility help me?
Every situation is different. Possible services include:
- Answer questions or provide resources over the phone/email. Looking for a tough answer to what seems like a simple question? Call us anytime, if we don’t know the answer, we’ll find someone who does.
- On-site farm assessment. We will come assess your worksite, tools, equipment, and management practices, specifically looking for ways to adapt/modify your worksite to make your work easier and more productive.
- Suggestions for adapting your worksite, tools, and/or equipment. Often, these are simple changes you can implement yourself. Sometimes they are more complex, in which case we can provide:
- Connections to funding possibilities. Maine AgrAbility does not have funds to purchase adaptive equipment, but we can help you connect to possible funding sources.
- Small business development/alternative enterprise education. In come cases, a chronic health condition or disability is too severe for a worker to continue with his/her current agricultural operation. We will do everything possible to suggest alternative agricultural enterprises and provide education and support to help develop such an enterprise successfully.
- Referral to local services/resources. There are many agencies that can help with specific needs, but it can be confusing figuring out where to go. We can help you figure out who to call and how to reach out quickly and effectively.
How much will Maine AgrAbility cost me? Nothing. All Maine AgrAbility programming is funded through a grant from the USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture. All services to consumers are free of charge.