QuickBooks for Farms
2021 4-part Hands-on Workshop Series
SCORE Maine and the University of Maine Cooperative Extension are pleased to offer this QuickBooks workshop series tailored to small farms and agriculture businesses. This important software can help with your invoicing, tracking sales and expenses, and handling your bookkeeping requirements for tax preparation. QuickBooks will let you sync your data across your computer, tablet, and smartphone mobile devices when you need it.
This is a hands-on workshop so you need either a desktop PC or a laptop available! The version we will be using targets the PC platform and not the Apple laptop; you must be a PC user.
- Monday, February 15, 2021, 6:00 – 8:30 PM
- Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 6:00 – 8:30 PM
- Monday, February 22, 2021, 6:00 – 8:30 PM
- Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 6:00 – 8:30 PM
This is a virtual online event via Zoom. Attendees will receive login information after registering. Space is limited so please register by Friday, February 12. To register, visit SCORE Maine’s website.
Who Should Attend?
Any farm or agriculture business owner wanting to implement a sound accounting tool for their business
Michael Fortin from Augusta, graduated from Thomas College in Waterville with a BA in Business Education, has worked as an accountant for both government and the private sector for more than 20 years with 10 years devoted to teaching QuickBooks as an Intuit QuickBooks Certified instructor. He is also a Maine small business owner for 24 years at Power Mixers, a Maine DJ serving northern Maine events.
Important Information about the Software:
This workshop requires you to use your own PC desktop or laptop. If you have QuickBooks Pro 2015 or later already installed on your computer, use that computer for the class. If you do not have a recent edition of QuickBooks installed, you will need to download the QuickBooks Pro 2020 trial version which is good for 30 days. Visit QuickBooks to download and install the program.
Use these codes to install QuickBooks Pro 2020 trial version:
License #: 0421-9621-3866-298
Product #: 611951
Please download and install the software before the workshop begins but be aware that it is a 30-day trial that will expire.
Schedule and Objectives
Part I. Introduction (February 15)
- Basic principles of accounting
- Accounting behind the scenes in QuickBooks
- An overview of QuickBooks data files and types
- Opening Portable Files
- How to restore backup files
- Entering transactions in QuickBooks
- QuickBooks user interface features
- About QuickBooks help and support
Part II. Sales Process (February 17)
- Track company sales
- Set up customer records in the Customer Center
- Track income and expenses by Job
- Record sales receipts
- Use the Undeposited Funds account to track your cash receipts
- Record invoices and payments from customers
- Record bank deposits of cash, check, and credit card receipts
Part III. Expenses & Reports (February 22)
- Set up vendors in the vendor list
- Understand how to use classes in QuickBooks
- Use QuickBooks for job costing
- Enter expense transactions in several different ways
- Manage accounts payable transactions
- Describe several types of QuickBooks reports
- Create several different accounting reports
- Create several different business management reports
- Customize the look of reports and filter the data on reports
- Memorize and group reports
- Process and print multiple reports in batches
- Use the Search command to find transactions
- Use QuickZoom to see the “numbers behind the numbers” on reports
- Export reports to spreadsheets for further analysis
Part IV. Comprehensive Farm Case Study (February 24)
- Enter various types of typical farm transactions in QuickBooks accounts for a small farm