Farm and Family
Parenting and Caregiving
- Parenting & Family Caregiving – from the University of Maine Cooperative Extension including information about child development that will be delivered right to your email inbox.
- Child-care Options – an online guide to find quality child-care providers in your area or for information if you are considering offering child care.
- Information on the developing brain from the North American Guidelines for Agricultural Tasks (NAGAT) and Harvard.
Health and Well-Being
- Maine AgrAbility – works with Maine farmers with chronic health conditions and disabilities to gain more control over their lives, continue to farm successfully, and live independently.
- FarmFamily Insurance – can be accessed by becoming a member of the Maine Farm Bureau.
- MaineCare – provides access to free or low-cost health insurance for pregnant women, children, and income-eligible families.
- Agricultural Mediation – can help you have a difficult conversation with a partner, family member, land owner or someone else.
- Helping farmers cope with stress – a web page with facts and ideas.
Farm Safety and Kids
- The Cultivate Safety – website was produced by the National Children’s Center for Rural and Agricultural Health and Safety (NCCRAHS). The mission of NCCRAHS is to, “enhance the health and safety of all children exposed to hazards associated with agricultural work and rural environments.”
- SAY National Clearinghouse – has lots of information about how to teach skills about animal and tractor safety, blind spots, ladders, and much more.
- For the facts about farm injuries and kids: Marshfield Clinic
- Great information from Penn State University including ages and stages and appropriate tasks specifically geared for kids and agriculture.
- Child development about kids ages 0-5 from the University of Maine Cooperative Extension “The Growing Years”
- Want more child development? eXtension’s “Just in Time Parenting” newsletter is delivered right to your inbox as your child grows up, once you sign up [use coupon code ME10TGYX]
Finding Balance with Farm and Family Living