Annual CCEA Meeting and Pie Bake-Off
By Lynne Hazelton, UMaine Extension Staff, Administrative Support Specialist
The Cumberland County Extension Association (CCEA) invites the public to the 2016 Annual Meeting of the CCEA to be held on Wednesday, September 7, 2016, starting at 5 pm, at the University of Maine Gardens at Tidewater Farm in Falmouth.
Every year this event is a special night when volunteers, from all UMaine Extension program areas, are honored and everyone eats great pie that has been entered into the Pie Bake-Off sponsored by King Arthur Flour. Our volunteers are really amazing and this year we’ll be presenting the following awards: Friend of Extension, Helen M. Mohn Award, Outstanding 4-H Volunteer, Outstanding Horticulture Volunteer, Outstanding Homemaker Volunteer, and Outstanding Master Food Preserver Volunteer.
If there’s something we love it’s telling our volunteers how much we appreciate them while enjoying homemade, with local ingredients, pie.
Pie Contest Rules:
- Exhibitor must use King Arthur Flour and bring the opened bag of King Arthur Flour or submit a UPC label from the flour bag when he/she submits the entry.
- A recipe must accompany all pies.
- Only 1 entry per person.
- Only homemade 1 crust or 2 crust pies will be judged.
- Pies too hot to cut will not be judged.
- Pies should feature local ingredients that are identified in the recipe.
Pies will be judged as follows:
- Recipe Card: Judged on neatness, listed ingredients, and directions are reflective of the pie: 5 points
- Overall Appearance: 15 points
- Crust: 30 points
- Filling: 30 points
Use of Local Foods (Identified in Recipe): 20 points
Pie Contest Prizes provided by King Arthur Flour
- 1st place: $75 gift certificate to the Baker’s Catalogue/ kingarthurflour.com
- 2nd place: $50 gift certificate to the Baker’s Catalogue/ kingarthurflour.com
- 3rd place: 9×13″ Cake and Brownie Pan
Pie Contest Prizes Provided by King Arthur Flour:
1st place: $75 gift certificate to the Baker’s Catalogue/ kingarthurflour.com
2nd place: $50 gift certificate to the Baker’s Catalogue/ kingarthurflour.com
3rd place: 9×13 Cake and Brownie Pan
Pie entries will be taken at the beginning of the CCEA Meeting, from 5:00 to 5:30 pm.
We hope to see you there!