Recipe to Market 6-Part Workshop
Do your friends and family rave about your homemade chowder, blueberry jam, ice cream, fudge or other special food product? They say you should sell it and make a fortune. You wonder if they’re right, and if you have the drive and personality to run a business.
Participants of the Recipe to Market 6-part workshop will learn about licensing, how to prepare and package their food product safely, to access potential profits, and discover some of the resources available to support them in business development.
This program is for individuals currently operating a value-added business or those seriously considering one. Participants must have a specific food product or recipe in mind and are expected to attend all sessions.
- Dr. Beth Calder, Extension Food Science Specialist, Assistant Professor, School of Food & Agriculture, University of Maine
- Dr. James C. McConnon, Extension Business and Economics Specialist, Professor, School of Economics, University of Maine
- Kathy Savoie, Extension Educator, UMaine Extension, Cumberland County
- Session I: Are you an Entrepreneur?
- Session II: Developing Your Product & Process, Food Regulations and Licensing
- Session III: Business Reality
- Session IV: Specialty Foods
- Session V: Panel Discussion
- Session VI: Individual Business Consults (by appointment between 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM)
- TBA: Pilot Plant tour in Orono, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
If you are a person with a disability and need an accommodation to participate in this program, please contact Kathy Savoie at 207.781.6099 to discuss your needs. Receiving requests for accommodations at least 14 days before the program provides a reasonable amount of time to meet the request, however all requests will be considered.