Make Your Own: Casserole
Grain + Protein + Vegetable + Seasoning + Topping
Make Your Own Casserole Recipe!
Use our “Make My Recipe” form to customize and print or share your recipe (or receive a copy via email).
Grain – select ONE
- 3 cups cooked whole-grain pasta (macaroni, penne, spiral, bow ties)
- 3 cups cooked brown or white rice
Protein – select ONE
- 2 cups cooked dry beans or one can of beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked lean ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken, turkey, ham, lean beef or lean pork
- 1½–2 cups cooked or canned fish, seafood
- 2–3 cups sliced fresh zucchini or summer squash
- 2–3 cups diced fresh tomatoes
Seasoning – select one or more
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1–2 cloves minced garlic
- 1–2 teaspoons mixed dried herbs (basil, thyme, oregano)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Topping – select one or more
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Swiss, cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup whole-grain bread or cracker crumbs
- Select food(s) from each category above.
- Combine in an oiled 2½ quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° F for about 50 minutes to 1 hour OR microwave using 50% power for about 15–30 minutes, rotating or stirring as necessary. Heat until steaming hot (165°F) throughout.