Make Your Own: Oatmeal Packets
Quick Oats + Seasoning + Dried Fruit
- ½ cup quick oats
- 1 cup water or milk
Apple Cinnamon option
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons apples (chopped and dried)
Cinnamon Raisin option
- Add 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons raisins
Cinnamon Spice option
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and teaspoon nutmeg
- Add 1 teaspoon baking cocoa and 1 teaspoon sugar or 2 teaspoons “quick-type” chocolate
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar or 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- Put quick oats and optional ingredients into a plastic snack or sandwich bag.
- Seal bag and store for future use.
- When ready to use, empty packet into microwave-safe bowl.
- Stir in 1 cup of water or milk.
- Microwave on high 2½–3 minutes.
- Stir before serving.
- Top with dried banana chips, small pieces of walnuts or almonds, dried cranberries or other dried fruits.
This recipe is provided by Iowa State University’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart.®
Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Oatmeal Packets Recipe and Instruction Sheet (PDF)