Make Your Own: Stuffed Squash
Winter Squash + Stuffing (Seasoning + Protein + Grain + Topping)
Make Your Own Stuffed Squash Recipe!
Use our “Make My Recipe” form to customize and print or share your recipe (or receive a copy via email).
- 1 medium winter squash (e.g., acorn, delicata, butternut, buttercup, Hubbard)
Seasoning – select one or more
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1–2 cloves minced garlic
- 1–2 teaspoons mixed dried herbs (basil, thyme, oregano)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Protein – select ONE
- 1 cup cooked dry beans or one can of beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 cup cooked and diced tofu or tempeh
Grain – select ONE
- 1 cup cooked brown or white rice
- 1 cup cooked barley, bulgur or quinoa
Toppings – Optional
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup toasted, chopped nuts
- Prepare squash by washing, cutting in half and scooping out the seeds. Place cut side down in a microwave-safe dish with ½ cup water. Cover and microwave on high for 5–8 minutes or until soft enough to pierce with a fork.
- Select stuffing ingredients from each category above. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add seasonings. Stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5–10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked protein and cooked grain. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stuff the prepared squash with the prepared stuffing. Add optional toppings.
- Bake the stuffed squash halves on high in the microwave for 5–8 minutes or in the oven at 325°F for 15–20 minutes.