So, You Want to Farm in Maine? Archived Training from Central Maine
A course to equip participants with the knowledge and skills to start, adapt, and maintain a profitable land-based business.
Archived sessions available from fall 2018 course
Contact Donna Coffin if interested in taking the course. firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-942-7396.
Instructors: UMaine Extension staff Donna Coffin, Erin Roche, Gary Anderson, Kathy Hopkins, and guest instructors.
Textbook: Starting and Running Your Own Small Farm Business by Sara Aubrey
Cost: $50 per person (includes textbook)
This multi-session course is designed for people who want to start a profitable farm or expand their farm hobby into a profitable business.
Successful completion of this course qualifies participants for FSA Borrower Training Credit.
Donna Coffin, Erin Roche, and guest speakers
- Introductions / Goals of participants
- Selecting and evaluating farm enterprises.
- Enterprise budget examples
- Essentials in developing a business plan
- Goal setting and risk management
- Determining your land’s potential
Paul Dillon, Esq., Kathy Hopkins, and Larry Laplante (SCORE)
- Business and Estate Planning
- The value of good record keeping for your farm
- Overview of taxes
- Permits and license overview
- Production information
Erin Roche, Gary Anderson, and guest speakers
- Financing: loans and grants
- Using balance sheets and cash flow
Dr. James McConnon and Steve Veazey (SCORE)
- Alt. Enterprise Research Reports From Farmers
- Doing applied market research for your products and services
- Financial Management: pulling it all together
One-on-one short consultations with Extension staff of your choice. Set up a time and site that is convenient for you. This is required for FSA Borrower Training but optional for others.
**Credit available for FSA borrower training [7 CFR 764.454(d)]. FSA employees are welcome to attend. If this is something you are interested in, please indicate this.
If you are a person with a disability and need an accommodation to participate in this program, please call Theresa Tilton at 207.942.7396 to discuss your needs. Receiving requests for accommodations at least 10 days before the program provides a reasonable amount of time to meet the request, however, all requests will be considered.