The One TomatoTM Project is a program aimed at encouraging people to grow at least one tomato in their garden this year. For the last seven years the Piscataquis County Extension Association has purchased cherry tomato seedlings, that are distributed with growing information throughout the county and at our office in Dover-Foxcroft. Due to the pandemic many of the events we distributed to have been canceled, so we are planning to come to a site near you. Grocery stores, town offices, and other places that we can distribute plants.
Save time by signing up beforehand at this site and let us know that you completed the survey when you arrive to pick up your seedling.
Why just one tomato? One tomato is not expensive to grow, it’s pretty easy, and it can be grown just about anywhere. You can plant a tomato in your garden, in your flowerbed, in a container, a hanging basket, or even on your front lawn. If you don’t like tomatoes, that’s okay! You don’t have to be a tomato lover to join in – the goal is to grow some vegetables, so try out any vegetable you like. You can give any extra to local food banks.
For information and ideas on how to grow your tomato or how to manage disease and pests in your garden contact us at the UMaine Extension Piscataquis County Office, 165 East Main Street, Dover-Foxcroft, ME 04426 or email email@example.com or call 207-564-3301 or 1-800-287-1491.
During COVID-19 we ask for your help in keeping us all healthy as we distribute these free tomato seedlings. Please wear a face covering and practice social distancing if you have to wait to get your seedling.
While supplies last, extension staff will distribute seedlings at the following locations:
- June 3rd, KC’s Country Store, Parkman, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- June 3rd, Dover-Foxcroft Area Food Cupboard 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.
- June 4th, Indian Hill Trading Post, Greenville 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- June 4th, Robinsons Convenience Store, Brownville 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- June 5th, Whitney’s Market, Guilford 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- June 5th, Tradewinds, Milo 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- UMaine Cooperative Extension Office Dover-Foxcroft, In June on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. While supplies last.