The 4-H Camps at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused summer camps for Maine youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world.
As an Assistant Counselor, you’ll spend your weeks working with youth aged 8-14 in an outdoor setting. You will assist Counselors, Educators, and other camp staff to implement successful programming each week. This position is designed to be a learning experience for younger staff who are new to working and hope to gain valuable experience.
- Live in a cabin with campers and, along with a co-counselor, create the necessary atmosphere for a safe and positive camp experience (staff/camper ratio = 1:4).
- Assist with the implementation and evaluation of hands-on curriculum for youth in week-long, morning programs using the learning objectives set forth by UMaine 4-H Camps.
- Help to plan and carry out other camp activities such as elective programming, special events, opening and closing ceremonies, evening programs, campfires, etc.
- Actively engage with campers during all program activities, cabin times, and meal times.
- Role model healthy living, positive energy, clear communication, and good stewardship for the environment.
- Participate in staff meetings, community chores, meal service, and miscellaneous maintenance duties as required to contribute to the ongoing improvement of the camp.
- Ability to demonstrate responsible and safe decision-making skills in all aspects of outdoor camp programming
- Flexible, creative, a team player, and have an appreciation for the natural world
- Self-motivated, with the ability to both lead and follow
- Genuine interest in working with children
- Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain (camp trails and facility), while carrying a small backpack with teaching and first aid supplies
- Preferred: First Aid and basic life support certification (CPR)
Dates and Compensation:
- Staff training is required for all staff, however we are able to accommodate you if you are unable to attend due to school schedule. Training dates: June 18-26, 2020
- Assistant Counselors serve for a 4-week block over the summer: block A) June 28-July 24, 2020 or block B) July 26-August 21, 2020. Please indicate your availability and block preference on your application.
- $175/week (pre-tax) with increases dependent on experience and certifications
- Benefits include: housing, meal, and internet access
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Sarah E. Harebo, Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).