The 4-H Camps at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused programs for Maine youth and families in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world. Our mission is to teach and inspire people from Maine and beyond to be effective and caring citizens of the earth through affordable environmental education and fun nature-based experiences. We strive to develop lifelong skills and a sense of community spirit.
Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove’s kitchen staff work closely with the director to ensure the dietary needs of everyone at camp are met. Cooks work together with the camp director in ordering food, creating schedules, and making sure the kitchen is kept at Maine State health code standards. An individual can opt to cook up to 2 shifts per day. Optional shared rustic housing is available.
- Prepare and cook healthy meals and snacks for the camp, using whole foods and fresh produce.
- Safely operate commercial cooking equipment: mixer, slicer, dishwasher and stoves; know when machines and knives need repair and specialized cleaning.
- Oversee and assist staff in safe food preparation, serving, and clean-up.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary kitchen facility in compliance with State of Maine standards and regulations.
- Work with all cooks and director in menu planning, food ordering, and preparing meals.
- Utilize produce from the camp’s garden.
- Pack up of food after each meal and help clean kitchen so it is ready for the next meal to begin.
- Follow established protocols for the camp composting program.
- Prior experience cooking nutritious and wholesome foods for large groups
- Understanding of food allergies/dietary restrictions and how to safely accommodate them
- High safety and sanitation standards, current ServSafe Food Safety Manager Certification
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work a demanding schedule
- Flexible, team player
- Complete health screening and appropriate background checks
$13.41-$17.00/hour depending on role and experience
Program season begins in April, running through late October. Hours vary from season to season and within programs depending on group size. Opportunities for full-time or part-time hours (20-40+ hours/week).
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and three references to Camp Director, 1 Tanglewood Road, Lincolnville, ME 04849 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Sarah E. Harebo, Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).