Health Care Provider
The University of Maine 4-H Camps at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused summer camps for Maine youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world.
- Provide first aid and health care treatment for all campers and staff. This includes assessment of illnesses, first responder to emergencies, and compassionate care for homesickness.
- Coordinate coverage of the health center, including nights and some weekends.
- Be responsible for the administration of all medications and treatments.
- Post hours for daily medications and notify staff regarding camper health concerns
- Evaluate and monitor the health of all campers and staff including various complaints and concerns, and report major concerns to Director
- Communicate with parents and/or guardians regarding camper health concerns.
- Establish and follow appropriate medical routines including record keeping in the daily medical log, disposal of medical waste, managing and safeguarding medications, and utilizing approved standing orders.
- Create a system for the daily health inspections of camp to ensure a healthy and safe environment for all.
- Maintain first aid kits, restocking prior to trips with specific supplies as necessary
- Conduct inventory of supplies
- Maintain a neat, sanitary, and welcoming health center.
- Report accidents/incidents to Director for reporting within 24 hours
- Participate in and lead specific areas of staff training pertaining to camp health and safety.
- Prepare a summary and evaluation of the entire camp season including inventories, staff evaluations, camper reports on health problems, and make recommendations for the following season.
These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and other duties may be assigned as required.
- Licensed Registered Nurse (current in the State of Maine) or other appropriate training as approved by the camp physician, e.g. EMT, WFR, CNA, LPN
- Experience in summer camp setting desirable
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications
- Ability to update and/or monitor health care, maintain records, and implement the health care plan
- Genuine compassion for and ability to get along well with children of all ages
- Ability to travel outdoors over various terrain, responding efficiently in the event of an emergency
Dates and Compensation:
- $450-500/week (pre-tax) pay range dependent on experience, background, and certifications
- Benefits include: housing, meals, laundry, and internet access
- June 7-August 28, 2020; one to three weekends required
To Apply: Please mail/fax/email cover letter, resume, and references to: Director, 1 Tanglewood Road, Lincolnville, ME 04849. Fax: 207-789-5220. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Sarah E. Harebo, Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).