Marketing and Capacity Building Intern
The Capacity Building Intern will assist with marketing for the expanding Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove’s youth and family programs with a focus on children and youth in poverty. This project will raise the developmental assets of youth who are at risk of poverty through increased funding, participation and expansion of high-quality youth development programs including summer camps, family camps, and school programs. The intern will work in a team setting with regular Tanglewood/Blueberry Cove program staff. This is a challenging and exciting opportunity to work as part of a highly skilled, supportive and motivated team to bring about positive change in the lives of Maine youth and families.
- Work in a team setting with members of the Tanglewood Board of Directors and staff to market and recruit campers for Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove’s Open Air Classroom, summer camps, and youth and family programs with special emphasis on children of poverty.
- Collaborate closely with the Directors and members of the Board to establish and maintain positive relations with current and potential donors including: individuals, groups, associations, corporations and foundations.
- Other reasonably related duties as assigned including:
- Taking photos and videos of programming for marketing purposes;
- Raising resource through grant writing, fund-raising events, and direct solicitations to donors;
- Designing and implementing public relations campaigns including writing press releases, designing and updating web pages, developing newsletters and flyers, and supporting public events; and,
- designing and implementing initiatives to assess child and youth program effectiveness and promote continuous improvement.
- Working toward a Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, education, environmental education or related field.
- Demonstrated interest and /or experience in resource development including fundraising, proposal writing and marketing.
- Experience/comfort in social media platforms.
- Ability to communicate effectively using written and electronic methods.
- Comfort and skill with speaking in a variety of public settings including coalition meetings and volunteer trainings.
- Self motivated and demonstrated ability to take appropriate initiative to reach project goals.
- An interest in organizational capacity building, related to children and youth development.
- Excellent personal time management and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with computers and proficiency with basic word processing, database, and electronic communication software.
- Demonstrated skills in working collaboratively as part of a team and with groups.
- Excellent interpersonal perception and communication skills.
- Ability to travel in state, normally requiring a valid driver license.
- Preferred: some experience with Adobe layout and design platforms
Work Environment and Schedule
This position is based at the UMaine 4-H Camp and Learning Center headquarters building in Lincolnville, Maine. Some weekend and evening work is required. We strive to create a spirit of community among all Tanglewood staff. This is a full-time position. The University of Maine Cooperative Extension regular office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. This position requires a flexible work schedule with some evening and weekend work.
Dates and Compensation:
- $300/week (pre-tax)
- Benefits include: housing, food, laundry, internet access, and camping equipment usage
- Credit for internship based on your school requirements
- April 2019 or June 12-August 24, 2019
To Apply: Please mail/email cover letter, resume, and references to: Director, 1 Tanglewood Road, Lincolnville, ME 04849 or email: email@example.com (Tanglewood) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Blueberry Cove)
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Sarah E. Harebo, Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).