Open Air Classroom Field Teacher
The University of Maine’s Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove 4-H Center is seeking Ecology Field Teachers. You’ll provide a hands-on ecology immersion for students in the spring and fall for our Open Air Classroom programs and work at one of our two camps during the summer. Our Tanglewood site in Lincolnville, Maine has 900+ acres of forest, extensive hiking trails and a pristine river with native Atlantic Salmon. Our Blueberry Cove site is located on the ocean in Tenants Harbor, Maine and provides a myriad of outdoor opportunities including sailing and kayaking.
Our mission is to teach Maine youth and adults to be effective and caring citizens of the earth through affordable environmental education and nature-based experiences. Our vision is to create a place where people learn to live responsibly and in balance with the earth.
- Teach hands-on, outdoor ecology lessons to grades K- 12 for day and overnight programs in the spring.
- Work independently and with staff to develop and maintain teaching resources.
- Participate in staff training and daily staff meetings to plan and evaluate programs.
- Take part in routine tasks of dishes, gardening, cleaning and upkeep of program spaces to support the staff community.
- Overnight supervision in student/camper cabins (occasionally expected of Field Teachers in the spring and fall and dependent on specific camp position in the summer.)
- Foster interpersonal relationships that reflect courtesy, civility, and mutual respect.
- Demonstrate responsible and safe decision-making skills.
- Motivation to work with children in a high energy, outdoor setting
- Experiential education experience with youth, preferably in an outdoor setting
- Knowledge of ecological concepts and natural history
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR preferred. WFR and lifeguard needed for some summer trip leading positions.
- Ability to be in an active, outdoor environment in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to lead groups over various terrain (uneven ground, roots, uphill hiking), while carrying a small backpack with teaching and first aid supplies
- Professional appearance and attitude
$300/week; shared, rustic housing (optional). Meals are provided during overnight programs.
Spring: April 9-June 8, Summer: June 10-August 18 (see summer listings for full position descriptions), and Fall: August 27-October 26.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume, and names & contact information of 3 references to:
Open Air Classroom Director
UMaine 4-H Centers at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove
One Tanglewood Road
Lincolnville, ME 04849
FAX: (207) 789-5220
Phone: (207) 789-5805
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer