Packing List-Blueberry Cove Leadership
This list below pertains to the clothes and equipment needed for the Leadership Programs at Blueberry Cove. These are primarily camping and expeditions. You will live in tents for the length of the program at camp and at off-site locations. There will be a safe place to leave items at camp that are not needed when you go off-site.
You will be spending pretty much all your time outdoors. Although it is summer, the weather can be unpredictable. It is important that you bring warm clothes and plan to dress in layers. We recommend primarily wearing wool or synthetic materials in place of cotton clothing such as denim pants and cotton sweatshirts as much as possible.
Please remember to label all clothing & belongings!
Essential Clothing per week:
(Please plan accordingly for multi-week programs)
- Comfortable, sturdy footwear for hiking (make sure they are broken in) – the key is a good tread and supportive structure!
- 5 pair underwear
- 2-4 pair socks (wool or synthetic are strongly recommended, may need extra pairs if bringing cotton)
- 1 pair thermal long underwear — tops and bottoms (synthetic or wool recommended)
- 2-3 t-shirts
- 1 long-sleeved light-weight shirt (cotton is okay for this)
- 2 long pants, plus light-weight, quick-drying pants
- 1-2 pair light-weight, quick-drying shorts
- 2 Towels (one small, light-weight for camping)
- Hat with visor
- 1 hat/beanie (wool or fleece recommended)
- 1 wool sweater or fleece jacket
- Waterproof raincoat with hood (no ponchos – they don’t work well with backpacks)
- 1 pair lightweight, waterproof rain pants (optional but highly recommended, quick-dry pants are a good substitute)
- 1 pair of footwear to get wet (Teva style sandals or old sneakers) — no flip-flops
- 1 pair of sneakers or shoes for running type activities (could be the same pair for hiking above)
If your camper takes any medications, pack enough medication to last the entire camp session. ALL items should be in their original packaging, bottle or container that identifies the prescribing physician (if prescription drug), the name of the medication, the dosage and the frequency of administration.
Equipment: Items with * are available to borrow from us; please call 207.789.5868 to reserve these items or with any other questions. Please use a backpack or duffel bag (something easy to take to off-site campsites) versus a trunk or container.
- *closed cell sleeping pad
- *Compactable sleeping bag rated to 20-30 degrees F
- 2 leak-proof, one-quart bottles (wide mouth preferred)
- insect repellent
- *Waterproof stuff sack or stuff sack with a trash bag
- light day pack
- 1 each: cup, bowl, spoon
- Flashlight/headlamp with extra batteries
- Toiletries: toothbrush/paste, comb or hairbrush, soap, shampoo
- *PFD (if you have one you are comfortable with, otherwise we can provide one)
Other Optional Items:
- Pen/pencil and journal
- Camera (digital is okay)
- stationery, stamps, envelopes
- reading material
- playing cards
- small folding pocket knife (kept with a counselor)
Please avoid bringing:
- anything electrical/electronic (MP3 players, cell phones, etc.)
- money or valuables
- weapons of any kind
- drugs, alcohol, cigarettes
- live animals or pets
- sports equipment