In the 2021 Fall Semester Hannah Carter and Lisa Phelps will be teaching a Research Learning Experience class for Cooperative Extension called “Extending Your Learning Through Cooperative Extension.” Part of the Harold Alfond Foundation Challenge Grant, the Research Learning Experience (RLE) is defined as “a wide range of learning opportunities in university activity of research, scholarship, creative production and community engagement as a beginning foundation for engagement in UMS students’ undergraduate careers, and as a very useful preparation for their future careers.” The University of Maine and the University of Maine at Machias is piloting an RLE program for first-year and second-year students in fall 2021.
The Learning Outcomes of the Cooperative Extension RLE are:
• Students will learn more about Cooperative Extension and its outreach, applied research, education and community engagement mission.
• Students will engage in meaningful hands-on applied research and/or community outreach, education and engagement opportunities with Cooperative Extension faculty and staff throughout the state.
• Students will have opportunities to network with other students enrolled in the Cooperative Extension RLE, faculty and staff throughout Cooperative Extension and various stakeholder groups around the state.
• Students will be mentored by Cooperative Extension faculty and staff who can also provide meaningful networking contacts to support students’ career interests.
• Students will gain valuable workforce and employability skills.
Hannah and Lisa are inviting UMaine Extension Faculty and Staff to consider joining us in this RLE experience. We are hoping that we can identify 15-20 hands-on applied research and/or community outreach, education and engagement opportunities with Cooperative Extension faculty and staff throughout the state.
Each Cooperative Extension RLE would consist of a 20-25 total hour hands-on experience working with a Cooperative Extension mentor through the fall 2021 semester. If you are interested in mentoring an RLE student please fill out the survey below by June 18th. Hannah and Lisa as instructors of the class will work with the Cooperative Extension RLE mentors to provide training and support as needed.