Welcome to Cooperative Extension: Garden & Yard
University of Maine Cooperative Extension provides home gardeners with practical, how-to solutions based on university research.
- Ask a gardening question.
- Diagnose a problem.
- See our calendar of upcoming classes and events.
- Register for upcoming classes and events.
- Learn more about becoming a Master Gardener or Maine Harvest for Hunger volunteer.
Find garden & yard information about:
For timely information throughout the gardening season,
see Maine Home Garden News.
July is the month to…
- Savor strawberry season. UMaine Extension has resources on freezing, making jam, how to grow strawberries, handling and storage, and delicious, healthy recipes.
- Replant! Check the number of days to harvest on seed packets and compare this number with the last freeze/frost date for your area to get a sense for whether it’s reasonable to replant crops. In many cases, you can still get away with planting beans, beets, carrots, leafy greens, and peas. While you’re at it, plan ahead to use season extension strategies this fall.
- Prune and train your indeterminate (tall vining) tomato plants and be prepared to support your determinate (short bush) tomatoes.