Office of the Dean
Welcome to the University of Maine Cooperative Extension! Extension is proud to be a part of UMaine’s Land Grant mission and that we are the largest outreach component of UMaine—we reach more Maine people than any other entity within the seven campus University of Maine System! Extension is located across the state in 16 county offices, research farms, 4-H camps, and online. Our work is focused in two areas of excellence: the Maine Food System and 4-H. We are the only entity in our state that touches every aspect of the Maine Food System, where policy, research, production, process, commerce, nutrition, and food security and safety are integral and interrelated. This work is crucial to supporting, sustaining, and growing the food-based economy across Maine. Our 4-H program is the state’s most successful out-of-school youth education program, investing in Maine’s young people to reach their full potential.
I am a product of Maine’s 4-H program and excited to return to Maine to lead Extension. I believe that Maine has a bright future and a great number of opportunities for growth—both in the number of youth that are empowered through our 4-H program to put their passions and skills to work for their communities and issues that are impacting all segments of society and with the incredible Extension staff who are making huge impacts in our agriculture and natural resource sectors and with improving the lives of people around this state. It is an honor to work alongside our Extension faculty, professionals, and staff who are deeply committed to the people of this state.
In my role as Dean, I serve as the chief executive officer of Cooperative Extension (UMaine Extension) and report to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost. I provide leadership for UMaine Extension’s education programs, applied research, and scholarship in service to the State of Maine and beyond, and am responsible for strategic, fiscal, staffing, personnel, and public service matters; staff development; commitment to diversity and inclusion; and compliance with university-wide policies. Along with everyone within Extension, I work towards establishing and strengthening productive relationships with government, industry, and the public stakeholders in Maine; other units of UMaine and the University of Maine System; and other extension programs in the national Cooperative Extension network.
UMaine Cooperative Extension is determined to make a positive difference in our areas of excellence. Explore our website, visit a county office, and contact our enthusiastic workforce or even me directly!
— Hannah Carter, Dean
- Hannah Carter, Dean
- Associate Dean (As of July 20, 2022: To Be Hired)
- Dennis Harrington, Assistant Director and Financial Administrator
- Francine Sulinski, Assistant Director
- Lisa Phelps, Program Administrator
- Jonathan Prichard, Program Administrator
- Jason Bolton, Associate Extension Professor and Food Safety Specialist
- Tori Jackson, Professor of Agriculture and Natural Resources and Program Administrator for Commercial and Consumer Agriculture
- Mark Hutchinson, Extension Educator, Knox and Lincoln Counties
- Ryder Scott, State Director of 4-H Camp and Learning Centers, Bryant Pond
- Melissa Arndt, Marketing and Communications Director
- Jim Dill, Director of the Diagnostic and Research Laboratory and Pest Management Specialist
- 2021 University of Maine Cooperative Extension Annual Report
- 2020 University of Maine Cooperative Extension Annual Report
- 2018-2019 University of Maine Cooperative Extension Annual Report
- 2017-2018 University of Maine Cooperative Extension Annual Report
- 2015 University of Maine Cooperative Extension Annual Report
- 2014 University of Maine Cooperative Extension Annual Report