Extension Educator: Agriculture and Natural Resources
24 Main Street, Lisbon Falls, ME 04252-1505
As a county Extension Educator for Agriculture and Natural Resources, Tori Jackson works with farms and other natural resource based businesses throughout Androscoggin and Sagadahoc Counties. Tori also coordinates the Master Gardener Volunteers program for the two counties. She has statewide responsibilities in Farm Business Management and New and Beginning Farmer education. In addition to teaching workshops, Tori offers one-on-one consultations for farmers and assist with business plan preparation.
During her undergraduate and graduate careers, Tori primarily studied fruit and vegetable production and integrated pest management (IPM). She worked at Highmoor Farm, a Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station in Monmouth in various capacities for about 15 years. Her Master’s research and thesis evaluated various organic controls for corn earworm and other lepidopteran insect pests in sweet corn.
Tori currently works with a statewide group of elderberry producers and has been conducting research on Tomato Ringspot Virus.
- M.S., Plant, Soil, and Environmental Sciences. University of Maine, 2004
Thesis: Alternative Controls for Helicoverpa zea on Sweet Corn: Phytotoxicity and Pollination Inhibition from Direct Silk Applications.
- B.A., Human Ecology, focus: Plant Science. College of the Atlantic, 2000
- 2013 Human Subjects Research Certification and Conflict of Interest Training from The Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects, Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program
- 2008-present: Maine Private Pesticide Applicator’s License
- 2009-present: Member, North East Association of County Agricultural Agents (NEACAA)
- 2006-present: Member, Maine Association of Agricultural Extension Agents (MAEA)
- 2008-2012: President
- 2007-2008: Vice President
- 2006-present: Member, National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA)
- 2006-present: Member, American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS)
- 2012-present: Beginning Farmer Resource Network (Chair)
- 2009-present: New England Fruit & Vegetable Conference Steering Committee