Important Information for 4-H Market Steer Project Members
Any youth who have submitted an Intent to Sell a Market Steer at the Fryeburg Fair need to follow the updated guidelines sent out:
Email a photo and the following information to Jessy Brainerd (if you don’t have access to email, you can print the photo and put the required information on the back – regular paper is fine – mail to: State 4-H Office, 491 College Ave, Orono, ME 04473). Show any distinct marks (i.e. white feet, white spots on head/body). Include a picture of the RFID tag in the animal’s ear.
- Your name on the page
- The USDA approved RFID ear tag # (it starts with the first three digits of “840”) and it is 15 digits long. Confirm that you have written down the number correctly! No changes will be made.
- The name of your steer.
- The birth date (month/year or exact date if known)
- Beginning weight – use a weight tape if necessary (either the date you first tape it or the weight you purchased/obtained your steer) – we can figure the ADG (Average Daily Gain) at the final weigh-in
- The breed of your steer
- Who you purchased/obtained your steer from and the price paid. If Bred and Owned, please state this.
- Address where is the steer being housed – a complete address.
- Any other farm tags or tattoo that your animal has.NEW THIS YEAR – Your approval form will be handled at the county level. Your steer should be entered on your regular animal approval form. In the column titled “Show Class” enter Fryeburg Sale. If you do not complete this correctly the animal will not be eligible for Fryeburg’s Sale as there are other sales throughout the state.