Registration Opening June 21st for New 4-H Teen Leadership Program: YOUth Have a Voice!
YOUth have a Voice!: Youth in Governance and Civic Engagement is a nine-month program open to teens and recent high school graduates who are interested in taking a more active role in serving their local communities, the state, or the country. Youth will learn leadership skills and ways to participate in civic action by completing a service project in a topic of their interest. Youth projects will be in one of three categories:
1.) Youth Board Member: Join a board or advisory council as a youth representative
2.) Policy Leader: Provide input to a policy or rule being developed
3.) Public Service Leader: Carry out a community service project.
Teens will be mentored by adults to assist their learning of civic processes and ways to meet their project goals. The program will be from late August 2023 to May 2024 and the total time commitment may vary from 30 to 80 hours depending on the type of project.
The program will be open for teens ages 14+ years old or entering high school in the fall of 2023. Interested teens will need the following items to register for the program:
- Fill out the application form.
- Two letters of recommendation from adults who are not related to the applicant
- Briefly describing (100 to 500 words) why you are interested in this program
- A signed Program Requirement Summary Form
Registration will be open from June 21 through July 31, 2023. The program will be limited to 16 youth.
To learn more about the program, you can attend one of the following 45 minute information sessions on June 7th:
- June 7, 3:30pm – 4:15pm, Zoom link: https://maine.zoom.us/j/85968212242?pwd=dDJTRGtmVVVpb0JNZ1duQ0cwS0pUdz09
- June 7, 5:30pm – 6:15pm: Zoom link: https://maine.zoom.us/j/83422511923?pwd=VTlwUDg2NDI3V3F0RnRST1hwUWZCUT09
For questions, please contact Andrew Hudacs, firstname.lastname@example.org, (207) 581-8204