The following lists possible risk factors that need to be addressed by the planning committee:
- Property of others: Set expectations for everyone involved in the program with regards to:
- Property (personal)
- Expectations on behavior
- Treatment of others
- State all expectations on permission/release of liability form.
- Food service: Require food service training and adopt Extension food safety guidelines.
- Environmental pollution
- Maintenance of facilities: Visit camp or facility prior to first day and do your best to make high-risk environment disappear/minimize.
- Supervision: Set volunteer-to-member ratio adequate to supervise. (6 to 1 with 5-8 years old and 10 to 1 for 9-18 years old.)
- Health services
- Provide easy access to health care.
- Bring EMT or paramedic.
- False advertising (liability in this can be programmatic or organizational)
- Vehicle operation (see transportation policy in this manual)
- Emergency plans (weather, crisis) (Have emergency and safety plans in place.)
- Communication (set up system of communication for emergency and safety issues)