Independent Member Club
Join Maine 4-H’s First Independent Club!
This year, several counties are piloting an Independent Member Club in their own counties. This club is an option for independent members who wish to engage more fully in the experience of 4-H and participate in a non-topic specific club.
It will involve participation in at 2-3 meetings per year (as decided by county), one at the beginning of the 4-H year for planning, one optional check in midway through the year, and one at the end for reflection and sharing in conjunction with the below requirements.
The purpose of these meetings is to allow for independent members to connect with each other, build relationships with each other and county staff, and share project goals and progress.
If you are new to 4-H or already an independent member, we encourage you to join us!
Meetings will be held in Oxford, Franklin, Hancock, Waldo, and Androscoggin/Sagadahoc Counties. If you live outside of those counties and wish to join us you can join us at one of these locations in person or at a virtual statewide independent club meeting!
Independent Club Requirements
- Complete annual 4-H enrollment, health form, and participation agreement, and optional photo release on or before first meeting.
- Complete a charter letter Plan of Work with specific goals and objectives for the year at the welcome meeting.
- Submit a biannual check-in to the Extension office.
- Submit a Project Record at the end of the 4-H year to reflect upon progress made with goals, to encourage members to develop responsibility, learn record-keeping skills, and reflect on their learning.
- (The record should be in the member’s own words, although leaders and parents may give advice and help younger members.)
- Have one or more adults as advisers for 4-H activities.
- (Advisers who are not parents/grandparents must complete initial volunteer training, and enroll as a 4-H volunteer annually.)
Encouraged/Recommended for Independent Member and Independent Club Members
- Participation in a project extension that benefits the community such as community service, a public display, fair exhibit, or other 4-H demonstration.
- Attendance in county and/or state 4-H events.
Dates/Locations – Register Now!
- Oxford: October 23rd 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm – South Paris, ME (Registration is now closed for this date/time)
- Franklin: October 23rd 2:00 – 4:00 pm – Farmington, ME
- Waldo: November 4th at 6:00 pm – Belfast, ME
- Hancock: November 5th at 10:00 am – Ellsworth, ME
- Statewide/Androscoggin/Sagadahoc: November 7th 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm – Online
- Somerset County – December 5 at 6:30 pm – Online
- Aroostook County – December 7 at 3:00 pm – Houlton, ME & Online