Associate Extension Professor and Extension Plant Pathologist
17 Godfrey Drive, Orono, ME 04473
Alicyn directs the Plant Disease Diagnostic Lab, the Regional Center for the Northeast Plant Diagnostic Network (NPDN), and is the Deputy Executive Director of the National Plant Diagnostic Network. The Plant Disease Diagnostic Lab identifies diseases present on samples submitted and provides a management plan in the form of a diagnostic report to homeowners, farmers, the lawn care industry, and nurseries to Maine residents and beyond. Through this service, Alicyn identifies areas where research in plant pathology is needed. Research is carried out to enhance the success of Maine agricultural industries by reducing losses to plant diseases and minimizing disease management costs by providing early and accurate disease identification.
- Doctor of Plant Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, 2015
- B.S., Landscape Horticulture, Unity College, Unity Maine, 2011
- American Phytopathological Society
- National Plant Diagnostic Network
- Li, K., Wang, Y., Ge, T., Larkin, R., Smart, A., Johnson, S., and Hao, J. 2022. Risk Evaluation of Benzovindiflupyr Resistance of Verticillium dahliae Population in Maine. Plant Disease. Published online.
- DOI: https://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/10.1094/PDIS-06-22-1384-RE
- Schattman, R.E., Smart, A., Birkel, S., Jean, H., Barai, K., Zhang, Y.-J. Strawberry Growth under Current and Future Rainfall Scenarios. Water. 2022, 14(3), 313.
- DOI: https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/14/3/313
- Rahman, M., Smart, A. 2021. Tips for Strawberry Anthracnose Latent Infection Diagnosis. National Plant Diagnostic Network. Published online.
- DOI: https://www.npdn.org/newsletter/2021/12/article/4
- Iles, L., Fulladolsa, A., Smart, A., Bonkowski, J., Creswell, T., Harmon, C., H., Hammerschmidt, Hirch, R., and Rodriguez-Salamanca L. 2021. Everything Is Faster: How Do Land-Grant Plant Diagnostic Labs Keep Up with a Rapidly Changing World. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 2021. 59:333-349. Published online.
- DOI: https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev-phyto-020620-102557
- De Souza, Singh, R., Harms, N., McPhedran, J., and Smart, A. 2021. First Report of Leaf Spot Caused by Septoria villarsiae on Nymphoides peltata in the United States. Plant Health Progress. Published online.
- DOI: https://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/10.1094/PHP-12-20-0104-BR
- Smart, A., Harmon, C., Jones, J., Snover-Clift, K., and Byrne, J., Hammerschmidt, R., Stack, J., and Brenes-Arguedas, T. 2021. Evolving plant diagnostics during a pandemic. Plant Health Progress. Published online.
- DOI: https://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/10.1094/PHP-08-20-0074-MR