Pest Management Unit
The Cooperative Extension Diagnostic and Research Laboratory is open but our doors remain closed to reduce exposure to others. Upon arrival, you will see phone numbers that you can call in order to leave us a sample.
You can also still call us, email us, and send images. Submissions of images must include your name, phone number, business name, county, host plant, problem, date when symptoms were noted and good, in-focus images.
You can reach Alicyn Smart from the Plant Disease Diagnostic Lab by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (207.581.3883) and Clay Kirby from the Insect ID Lab by email at email@example.com or by phone (207.581.2963).
- Insect identification
- Insect injury identification
- Expert management recommendations
- Tick identification and disease testing
- Public outreach on tick management, personal protection, and tick-borne disease prevention
- Monitoring of Maine’s tick populations and geographic range
- Plant pathogen (fungal, bacterial, viral, etc.) identification and expert management recommendations
- Use of DNA analysis to identify pathogens, offering a new level of specificity of pathogen identification, down to the level of species or strain
- Ability to be certified for testing plant samples by USDA-APHIS
- Farmer training and consultation for crop-specific management of pests
- Guidance and resources for all Mainers with pest problems or questions
- Guidance and resources about pesticide safety