Pest Management Unit
University of Maine Cooperative Extension buildings remain CLOSED in an effort to ensure the health and safety of the community, and to help stem the spread of the coronavirus.
However, please note that UMaine Extension is operating and although most staff are working remotely, the Tick Lab and the Plant Disease Diagnostic Lab of the Pest Management Unit are receiving physical samples at this time. You can also still call us, email us, and send images.
Submissions of images must include your name, phone number, business name, county, host plant, problem, date when symptoms were noted and good, in-focus images.
You can reach Alicyn Smart from the Plant Disease Diagnostic Lab by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (207.581.3883) and Clay Kirby from the Insect ID Lab by email at email@example.com or by phone (207.581.2963).
- Insect identification
- Insect injury identification
- Expert management recommendations
- Tick identification and disease testing
- Public outreach on tick management, personal protection, and tick-borne disease prevention
- Monitoring of Maine’s tick populations and geographic range
- Plant pathogen (fungal, bacterial, viral, etc.) identification and expert management recommendations
- Use of DNA analysis to identify pathogens, offering a new level of specificity of pathogen identification, down to the level of species or strain
- Ability to be certified for testing plant samples by USDA-APHIS
- Farmer training and consultation for crop-specific management of pests
- Guidance and resources for all Mainers with pest problems or questions
- Guidance and resources about pesticide safety