Things to Bring to Horsemanship Camp
Please review carefully!
- Halter and 2 lead ropes (longe line — optional — may need for exercise)
- Bridle(s) and saddle(s), saddle blankets
- Cleaning equipment: saddle soap, rags, old toothbrush, Lexol oil, Lysol spray* (*Please use this to disinfect stall before bedding it down and putting your horse in.)
- Feed (hay and grain) — grain must be in tightly closed container (Ziploc bags must be inside tightly enclosed containers.)
- Pails for water and grain
- Fly spray
- Manure fork/shovel to clean stalls
- Wheelbarrow or basket for manure
- Hammer and nails
- A bag of shavings or bedding from the barn
- Salt blocks or salt to add to grain (optional)
- Record of shots for current year
- Bamboo or spring type rake for cleaning stalls
- Screw eyes and double-ended snaps for grain and water buckets
- All showmanship materials (halter, leads, etc.) Bring what you have, don’t worry about expensive showy equipment
- Banding & braiding supplies
- Cot, inflatable mattress, reclining lawn chair or something to sleep on or some type of ground cover. We will be sleeping in the enclosed building on a wooden floor.
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Clothes — Be sure to bring clothes for all types of weather such as: rain coats, rubber boats, a warm coat for at night, sleepwear, extra pairs of pants in case of a tear or wet clothes.
- Boots or hard shoes with 1/2 or 1 inch heels for riding
- Shoes to be worn when not riding (no open toe)
- Bug Spray
- Towels, soap, toothpaste, deodorant
- ASTM certified hard hat — required for all riders
- Ice packs
- Non breakable drink container with your name on it
- BAG LUNCH FOR FRIDAY (if needed)
- Plenty of VOLT trained chaperones
- Basic equine first aid kit
- Saw, Cordless Drill for stall tags
- Remember to bring the item you checked off on the food item list (PDF)!