2022 March PCEA-EC Minutes
Minutes: Piscataquis County Extension Association Executive Committee Meeting March 14, 2022, at 3 p.m. by Zoom
Members: Beth, Rick, and Kim
Staff: Sheila, Emily, Laurie, Donna, Anette,
- Secretary’s Report, Kim will help take notes
- Treasurer’s Report
- Cash Flow
Program Updates from Staff:
- Laurie is doing a program at the Thompson Free Library to go with Garden in a Box which is in 5 libraries.
- Working on the Pollinator Friendly Garden Certification. She showed us the sign people who finish the program would receive. Law Farm is the local ones who are working towards this.
- Working on the Master Gardener Training
- Working with the Lee After School 4-H Program on food.
- Mar. 15th One Tomato presentation to Washington County Extension Executive Committee- 6 pm
- Mar. 20th Bangor/Brewer CSA Fair – 2 pm to 4 pm across from Bangor Library
- Mar. 16th Hannah Carter, Dean meets with Executive Comm. Presidents, 6 pm
- Mar. 30th Garden Weeds Webinar 6 to 8 pm with Aroostook Winter/Spring Ag School.
- April 1st Wildlife in the Garden, Noon – moderator
Sheila Norman/Emily Mott
- Current meeting guidelines for 4-H club meetings:
- Indoor meetings: Groups of fewer than 75 people are masks optional, at the discretion of the group leader. Groups of more than 75 people, masks are required except if waived by the group leader.
- Outdoor meetings: no gathering limits, masks are not required but recommended for large gatherings
- Guidance regarding food, contact lists, etc. are available in a checklist for leaders on the Restarting Educational Programs in Person website.
- Sheila and Emily are working with the State 4-H Dog Animal Science Committee on a Virtual 4-H Dog SPIN Club that is open to all youth in the state of Maine 4-H ages 9-18. We’ve had three meetings so far and it is going well. We have recruited a new volunteer from Piscataquis county, Pam Pultz, to help with the planning of the club.
- The State 4-H Public Speaking Tournament will be held on April 9. George McKay and Rebecca Huettner will serve as judges. Sheila is chair of that committee and Emily is organizing all things tech. The event is offered in person at UMaine or presentations may be done virtually in a live ZOOM format.
- Sheila has been representing Extension at the Working Communities Challenge group.
- Emily is representing Extension at the Helping Hands with Heart group.
- Kacey Weber from Piscataquis County Soil and Water Conservation District reached out to 4-H to potentially collaborate. We are looking forward to meeting with them and hearing their ideas for future collaborations. (We still need to schedule the meeting).
- We had a 4-H’er go to the 4-H Argi-Science Summit in DC. The summits are for senior kids.
- The office is open 3-½ days a week: Monday, Thursday and Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm, Wednesday from 10 am to 2 pm due to county funding for Anette’s position.
- Latest COVID-19 protocols for office – no change
- New supervisor for program staff – Mark Hutchinson will be Donna’s supervisor and Lisa will continue as Sheila’s supervisor and Piscataquis Executive Committee liaison.
- One Tomato Plans for 2022: Tomato varieties include Cherry Bomb, Honeydrop, and Esterina. Additional counties include Aroostook, Washington, and Cumberland. Distribution in Piscataquis will be the first week in June. Signup to help at our May meeting.
- Repainting of roadside sign/Orono will cover cost
- Potential new members
Tech Tip from Emily: Gmail snooze function. To the right of the subject line is a clock. Click on it and it will bring up a drop-down menu to choose when you wish to have the email come back to the top of your unread emails.
Beth spoke about the Bike Rodeo that will happen on May 14th. It will be at the Kiwanis Park and will teach youth about bike safety.
New meeting time: 5:00 p.m.?
Tabled until Beth reaches out to others for impute.
Next meeting: May 9th business meeting. -Meeting will be by Zoom
We will be meeting every other month (odd months) in 2022 at 3 pm by Zoom and live when possible.
Adjourned: 4:30 p.m.