UMaine Extension Social Media Commenting Policy
UMaine Extension strives to create an online environment that is welcoming, mutually respectful and inclusive, and consistent with our organizational philosophy. We encourage the public to share their thoughts and opinions on our social media channels.
Comments posted to UMaine Extension social media channels do not represent the opinions of UMaine Extension.
Our policy is to accept the majority of comments made to our channels; however, a comment will be deleted if it contains:
- Language, images or video that is determined to be profane, obscene, vulgar or lewd, including nudity in profile pictures
- Hate speech, including racist, threatening, or harassing comments that target specific individuals or groups
- Derogatory or discriminatory language or images, including comments about race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status as per The University of Maine Non-Discrimination Notice.
- Libel, slander, name calling or personal attacks of any kind; defamation to a person or group of people
- Comments that suggest or encourage illegal, dangerous or destructive activity
- Comments that infringe on copyrights
- Comments whose main purpose is to sell or promote a product or service
- Political campaigning or lobbying
- Comments that are clearly off topic
- Comments that make unsupported accusations
- Duplicate posts or spam
- Other comments that the UMaine Extension media team deems inappropriate or inconsistent with our organizational philosophy
All links posted as comments on UMaine Extension posts will be reviewed and may be deleted.
Repeated violations of the UMaine Extension commenting policy may cause the author to be blocked from UMaine Extension’s social media accounts.
UMaine Extension abides by third party platform Terms and Conditions and asks commenters to do the same when participating in our communities.
Although social media is a 24/7 medium, we do not have the capacity to moderate our channels around the clock, 365 days a year. We may not see every inappropriate comment right away, and we are trusting in the maturity of our community to ignore personal attacks and negative speech or respond politely.
For questions, comments, or to report abuse, send a message to email@example.com.