A Year in Nature SPIN Club
Have you ever noticed how many different types of moss exist in one small patch of woods? What’s the difference between crows and ravens? How do the sounds and smells of nature change through the seasons?
If you want to be able answer these questions, and more, join us for a hybrid (virtual and in person), year-long exploration of nature. We will meet once a month, either on Zoom (1hr) or out in nature (2hrs). The locations will vary, and you do not need to attend every meeting. You do not need to enrolled in 4-H to participate. All youth ages 5-19 who live in York and Washington Counties* can join.
Throughout the year we will:
- Meet other youth interested in nature
- Spend time outdoors (rain or shine!)
- Create a phenology wheel to track the changes in seasons
- Keep a nature journal filled with drawings, poems, questions, ideas, and observations
- Work on a service project such as picking up trash or trail maintenance
This is a great opportunity for you to get outside and observe the world around you.
*A Year in Nature is hosted by 4-H Professionals Erin McDonald (York) and Brittany Foster (Washington). Participants from both counties will meet together during Zoom meetings, but separately during outdoor meetings.
Participant Responsibilities and Expectations
- Come with an open mind to experiential learning in a hybrid setting.
- Be respectful of others and the natural world.
- Be ready to make new friends and share your interests in nature.
- Adult supervision is expected for all meetings, virtual and in-person.
Interested? Sign up today!
Registration is open on a rolling basis.You do not need to attend every meeting, but we recommend you try to attend at least 6 meetings. When you register, you will be added to a contact list to receive information before each meeting.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).