Tick Identification Lab - How to Submit a Tick for ID
Mail Your Specimen:
- Print and fill out the tick submission form (Word | PDF) and include it with your tick (please use one form for each tick being sent).
- Do NOT attach any tape to the tick.
- Place your tick in a small leak-proof container (no glass, please) with just enough rubbing alcohol to cover the specimen.
- Wrap the container in a paper towel (as a precaution in case the container breaks or leaks) and place it all inside a zipper-locking plastic bag.
- Mail to the UMaine Extension Tick ID Lab, 491 College Avenue, Orono, ME 04473-1295.
- You can bring your tick(s) to our lab, located at 491 College Avenue in Orono. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Mon-Fri (closed for holidays). Driving directions.
The Tick ID Lab does not currently test ticks for disease-causing organisms.