Show + Tell = Public Speaking (Do It!)
What is your Spark? What do you like to do? Others want to know! Show or Tell it this year by Public Speaking!
- Plan a short talk about something you like to do, or about something you find interesting. Ask a friend to take a video of it or practice in front of a mirror to get more comfortable. Make a poster with steps to show how to do something 1-2-3. Or tell about something interesting with a poster or PowerPoint to show or illustrate it.
- Show or Tell your club or after school program or family this Demonstration or Illustrated Talk. It is fun & good practice!
- Sign up and perform it at your County Public Speaking Tournament or in front of your CEA or County Educator if your county does not have a Tournament (before March 17).
- If you are older than a Cloverbud AND get a score of 78 or higher, ask you County Staff person to help you sign up to come to UMaine Orono for the April 7, 2018Maine 4-H State Public Speaking Tournament (before March 31).
- If you place among the top scorers at State, are 12+, have participated at County level for two years and State level for one year making sure you re-enrolled by January 1 or are a newly enrolled member. Ten members can participate as the Maine 4-H State Communication Science Team at Eastern States Exposition in Massachusetts in September!
- Learn more; watch videos; see how the judges score, get inspired to Show and Tell (Do a Demonstration or Illustrated Talk); and browse the 4-H Public Speaking pages
- Why? Did you know that the average person spends up to 50% of their waking time either speaking or listening? 4-H alumni who participated in 4-H Public Speaking when they were younger, come back to tell us that this was their most important 4-H life skill that they learned.
2018 is your year to participate!