Big E Ruby Morris 4-H Scholarship
Every two years Maine has the opportunity to select an Eastern States Exposition participant to receive a $500 scholarship towards continuing his or her education beyond high school, and this is one of our years!
This is a scholarship that was established by The Morris Family who are longtime concessionaires at ESE. A total of three $500 scholarships are awarded each year. In 2019 and future odd-numbered years, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont will each name a scholarship recipient. In even-numbered years, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut name a scholarship recipient.
Eastern States would like our recipient from Maine to be present on 4-H Day (the first Saturday of ESE, September 14, 2019) at The Big E for the presentation ceremony. All 4-H members who represent Maine at Eastern States this year or in a prior year are eligible for this scholarship.
To be eligible for the Maine 2019 Big E Morris 4-H Scholarship, nominees must:
- Be a member of a current or prior Maine ESE team Beef, Dairy, Dog, Goat, Horse, Sheep, Working Steer, or New England Center Program.
- Graduate from high school in 2019 or 2020 and continue their education beyond high school in one of the following: two- or four-year colleges or universities, technical schools, professional training, or apprenticeship programs.
- Have demonstrated leadership as a Maine 4-H member at the local, state, or regional level.
- Be a junior or senior in high school and in good academic standing.
- Be recommended by the appropriate Animal Science Committee or the New England Center Program Coordinator.
Complete applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, August 23, 2019
1) A letter of nomination and recommendation from the Animal Science Coordinator, or New England Center Program Coordinator, or their designee. If the Coordinator is a parent or close relative, another member of the committee should write a recommendation.
2) A letter from the nominee regarding their qualifications for the scholarship that includes information about their:
a) Participation on a Maine ESE team in 2019 or prior.
b) Intention to continue their education beyond high school in 2019 or 2020, including area of study or training and possible location.
c) Demonstrated leadership as a Maine 4-H member at the local, state, or regional level.
3) A copy of the applicant’s high school transcript or equivalent.
Application materials must be sent to:
Maine State 4-H Office
491 College Ave
Orono, ME 04473
All applications and supporting materials must be received, by mail, fax, or e-mail, by 4:30 p.m., Friday, August 23, 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee at the State 4-H Office.
The winner will be notified by Friday, August 30, 2019. ESE has requested that the scholarship recipients be present at ESE on 4-H Day, September 14, 2019, to receive their award. If the Maine winner is not able to attend, we will designate someone to receive the award on his or her behalf.
If you have any questions, please contact Alice Philbrick at 207.581.2916 or firstname.lastname@example.org.