The 2021 4-H Public Speaking Tournament will take place virtually over the weekend of April 16 – 18, 2021. In the absence of local club and county tournaments this year, there is ample support for youth preceding the tournament in the form of workshops and focused practice opportunities. These workshops are open to all youth who wish to practice their public speaking skills and those who wish to qualify for the state tournament. If you are interested in participating in the Maine 4-H Public Speaking Program and need assistance in any way, please contact us to discuss your needs. We are committed to making 4-H programs accessible to all youth, regardless of internet or technology access. Details for the workshops and tournaments are still being organized – regularly updated information can be found on the Maine 4-H Public Speaking Website. Stay tuned for more announcements!
- January 26, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. | Online Presentations
- Presenting in a virtual world is a bit different than live and in-person. This workshop will walk us through online skills such as camera angles, lighting, background, using PowerPoint slides, and using Zoom.
- February 9, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. | Career & College Readiness
- Join us for an hour of public speaking/illustrated talk preparation—Career and College Readiness style! Polish your oration skills, which will serve you in academia, the workforce, and beyond! We’ll have fun planning and practicing tools to build the competence and confidence that will support your delivery of a successful presentation!
- February 16, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. | Introduction to 4-H Public Speaking for Cloverbuds
- This workshop will introduce less experienced 4-Hers to the world of public speaking in 4-H. The primary focus of this workshop will be how to do a demonstration including format, posters, and ideas.
- February 23, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. | All About Judging & Scoring
- Find out what it is like to judge public speaking presentations and learn what the judges are looking for. You will gain a new perspective and improve your skills!
- Practice Sessions by appointment in February and March
*Youth are expected to attend two workshops and one practice session to qualify for the State Public Speaking Tournament. If youth are unable to attend the scheduled workshops, contact Emily Mott, email@example.com for qualifier alternatives.
Questions about the Maine 4-H Public Speaking Program? Contact Sheila Norman, 207.942.7396 or firstname.lastname@example.org.