Animal Science Committee Staff Liaison
The work of the UMaine Cooperative Extension 4-H Animal Science committees will be to help Maine youth nurture and grow through positive learning experiences in which participants develop and use life skills.
Work closely with Activity Coordinator by providing advice, guidance, and support to ASC Members and the State Animal Science Coordinator to develop and implement an educational program for Maine 4-H members interested in a particular animal species.
- Provide oversight and leadership to ASC members and the Activity Coordinator.
- Provide oversight, guidance and interpretation of Maine 4-H policies (which includes state, regional or national team selection process) relevant to the commodity in coordination with the State Animal Science Program Coordinator.
- Serve as the liaison between the University of Maine and Animal Science Committee.
- Provide guidance and support to the ASC as they work to develop an annual educational plan of action based on identified needs in support of the commodity area.
- Attend Spring and Fall ASC meetings and additional committee meetings as needed.
- Seek input from ASC members about Maine 4-H policies (which includes state, regional or national team selection process) relevant to the commodity as needed.
- Provide oversight of the selection process/tryouts for state, regional or national teams in partnership with the State Animal Science Program Coordinator, which includes attending tryouts.
- Serve as a Risk Management resource in support of the annual educational plan of action of the ASC.
- Participate in ASC orientation and training as needed.
- Assist with locating research-based information in support of the work of the ASC.
- Serve as a member of the ASC selection committee, which includes the State Animal Science Coordinator, Activity Coordinator, and a current member of the ASC. The selection process will begin April 1st and conclude in mid October with the bulk of the work occurring in October.
- Support good communication among ASC members and the Activity Coordinator and between the ASC and the State 4-H Office.
- Serve as contact with appropriate University of Maine Cooperative Extension Staff.
- Work closely with the ASC committee and the State Animal Science Program Coordinator to evaluate the impact of the educational plan of the Animal Science Committee.
- Assist the ASC in publicizing events and activities through appropriate channels to ensure compliance with University of Maine Cooperative Extension policies and procedures and Civil Rights requirements.
- Provide advice and support regarding fund-raising to support the ASC educational program.
- Work with the ASC Treasurer to ensure accurate and complete financial records and timely reporting to the State 4-H Office (S4HO).
- Attend Eastern States Exposition (ESE), or, in coordination with the State Animal Science Program Coordinator, make arrangements for another University of Maine Cooperative Extension staff member to do so.