Farm Tractor Safety Course
Participants will learn how to handle tractors and equipment safely, how to identify hazards, and how to minimize the chances of accidents. The course is open to all adults and youth interested. A Federal Certificate of Training will be issued at the end of the course after successful completion of the written test and driving course and with attendance requirements met. This certificate is required for 14- and 15-year-olds who plan to operate farm equipment for hire on farms other than their own.
2022 Course Information
Fee: Sliding scale $0 – 40
- In-person lectures, hands-on demonstrations, and tractor driving.
- Additional reading and coursework outside of class time. Note: participants will need access to a computer, tablet or smartphone to complete some homework assignments.
- Final written exam and driving test
Textbook: National Safety Tractor and Machinery Operation Program manual, free with registration
Note: COVID-19 protocols will be based on the requirements of UMaine and the host venue at the time of the program.
The 2022 Tractor Safety Course will be held at two locations:
Where: Gorham Public Works, 80 Huston Rd, Gorham, ME 04038
- Monday, April 4, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
- Monday, April 11, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
- Monday, April 25, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
- Final Exam Saturday, April 30, 9 am – 12 pm,
- HOLD Monday, May 2, 5 – 8 pm for inclement weather makeup
Amount of Participants Limited to 13
Registration: Register here
Questions or to request a reasonable accommodation: Jason Lilley, firstname.lastname@example.org, 207.781.6099
Where: Kramer Tractor, 2400 West River Road, Sidney, ME 04330
- Monday, April 4, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- Monday, April 11, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- Monday, April 25, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- Final Exam Monday, May 2, 5:00 – 8:00 pm
- Hold Monday, May 9, 5 – 8 pm for inclement weather makeup
Course FULL, Registration Closed (April 1, 2022)
Questions or to request a reasonable accommodation: Caragh Fitzgerald, email@example.com,
This program is offered with the support of local tractor dealerships and local Farm Bureau chapters.
Tractor Safety Workshop
Where: Beech Hill Farm at the College of the Atlantic, 171 Beech Hill Road, Mt. Desert, ME 04660
When: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 2:00 to 6:00 p.m.
For more information and to register for this workshop, visit the 2022 Tractor Safety Workshop, Beech Hill Farm/COA, Mt. Desert, Maine page.