Wild Blueberry Newsletter, February 2017
2017 Wild Blueberry Spring Meetings
* Please note the change of dates for Ellsworth and Waldoboro counties from the January Newsletter.
Ellsworth (Date Change)
- Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2017
- Time: 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Location: Hancock County Extension Office, 63 Boggy Brook Road, Ellsworth, Maine
Waldoboro (Date Change)
- Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017
- Time: 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Location: Knox-Lincoln County Extension Office, 377 Manktown Road, Waldoboro, Maine
- Date: Saturday, March 25, 2017
- Time: 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Location: University of Maine, Machias, Science Bldg., Room 102, O’Brien Avenue, Machias, Maine
- 1:00 p.m. (All others: 6:00 p.m.): World Blueberry Production Numbers: Today/Tomorrow, David Yarborough, University of Maine
- 1:20 p.m. (All others: 6:20 p.m.): Whole-Farm Revenue Protection Crop Insurance Program, Erin Roche, University of Maine
- 1:40 p.m. (All others: 6:40 p.m.): Pollination and Pest Insect Management Strategies for Reduced Inputs, Frank Drummond, University of Maine
- 2:00 p.m. (All others: 7:00 p.m.): Disease Management Strategies for Reduced Inputs, Seanna Annis, University of Maine
- 2:20 p.m. (All others: 7:20 p.m.): Break
- 2:40 p.m. (All others: 7:40 p.m.): Weed and Fertilizer Management Strategies for Reduced Inputs, David Yarborough, University of Maine
- 3:00 p.m. (All others: 8:00 p.m.): BPC Update, Staff, Board of Pesticides Control
- 4:00 p.m. (All others: 9:00 p.m.): Adjourn
Two re-certification credits available for licensed pesticide applicators!
Calibration Workshop Notice
Cooperative Extension will be holding a calibration workshop on March 29, 2017, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. (with a rain date on the March 30) by the Hope Elementary School, 367 Buzzell Hill Road (Route 235) in Hope, Maine.
We will review and demonstrate the calibration of both a tractor mounted boom and airblast sprayer. Contact the Knox/Lincoln County Extension Office, if you have questions on inclement weather at 832.0343. Certified pesticide applicators will receive two credits for attending the workshop.
Resources to Navigate Drought Successfully Available from Extension
As a farmer, gardener or landowner, there are steps and management practices you can implement to reduce or eliminate threats caused by water shortages and damaging weather events. This collection of resources on the Resources to Navigate Drought Successfully page (Cooperative Extension: Agriculture website) has been gathered for you to successfully navigate the impacts caused by drought.
David E. Yarborough
Extension Blueberry Specialist
Wild blueberry fact sheets, past newsletters, contacts, resource links, calendar of events, and more can be found on the Cooperative Extension’s Maine Wild Blueberries website.
Information in this publication is provided purely for educational purposes. No responsibility is assumed for any problems associated with the use of products or services mentioned. No endorsement of products or companies is intended, nor is criticism of unnamed products or companies implied.
Call 800.287.0274 (in Maine), or 207.581.3188, for information on publications and program offerings from University of Maine Cooperative Extension, or visit extension.umaine.edu.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 Boudreau Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).