Join our team!
UMaine Gardens at Tidewater Farm, Falmouth, Maine
Commitment: 25-30 Hours/week from May 18 – October 18, 2020
Contact: Pamela Hargest, Horticulturist – firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-781-6099
How to Apply: Please submit a resume to Pamela Hargest by April 18th, 2020
Responsibilities: The responsibility of the Horticulture Assistant is to maintain the UMaine Gardens at Tidewater Farm, including the grounds surrounding the gardens, and to coordinate educational programs as needed.
- • High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) AND sufficient experience, including one year of gardening/landscaping experience
- • Ability to perform physical activities and lift heavy objects (up to 50 pounds)
- • Ability to work independently
- • Experience with coordinating educational programs (preferred)
- • Assist with ground maintenance, including periodically mowing, weed whacking, and edging around the gardens
- • Assist with the maintenance (including watering, mulching, weeding, planting, harvesting, and monitoring of insects and diseases) of established areas.
- • Help with the installation of new garden infrastructure
- • Assist with establishing new garden areas as needed
- • Deliver harvested produce from Maine Harvest for Hunger (MHH) plots to Wayside Food Programs
- • Maintain garden related records, including harvest totals for MHH plots
- • Organize and deliver educational programs, including 4H SPIN Club, field trips, and garden tours
- • Work with and support on-site Master Gardener Volunteers
- • Check in with Horticulturist on daily basis for new assignments/updates
- • Perform other duties of a similar nature and level as requested
The University of Maine and the U.S. Department of Agriculture cooperating. UMaine Cooperative Extension provides equal opportunities in programs and employment.