4-H Bird Chats — a Statewide Youth Birding Club!
Thank you to everyone who has signed up for this club — we are BLOWN AWAY by the enthusiasm from around the state. Unfortunately, we had to cap registration at 20 participants and registration is now closed!
Do you like to watch your bird feeder? Observe the antics of various chickadees, nuthatches, blue jays, and more? You’re not alone! Join 4-H staff and birding enthusiasts from across the state to discuss and share your birding observations. The birding club will meet virtually once per month from December through April.
This group is for Maine youth ages 9 – 18 who are interested in citizen science, who are interested in or already contributing to Project FeederWatch, would like to learn more about birds, and who want to come together to share their love of birds, birding, and citizen science. Participants will observe birds, learn how to contribute their observations and data to Project FeederWatch, discuss observations with their peers, and more! Family members that are younger than 9 are welcome to join their older siblings.
The club meets via Zoom monthly on a Wednesday, 3 – 4 pm. Each meeting will feature a short presentation from 4-H staff, followed by a discussion guided by youth’s interest, expertise, and questions. This is a laid-back group, with rolling registration, and flexibility to join the meetings when it works for you.
- December 16th: Project FeederWatch and Birding Basics.
- January 20th: Bird Feeders and Bird Seed: How to Attract Different Birds to your Feeder.
- February 17th: What Happens to Birds in the Winter.
- March 24th*: How to Identify Birds by their Song.
- April 21st: Nature Journaling: Different Ways to Record your Observations.
*4-H Bird Chats is typically scheduled on the 3rd week of the month — March is different due to a staffing conflict!
Participant Responsibilities and Expectations
- Come with an open mind to experiential learning in a virtual setting
- Be respectful and participate fully in the program
- Be ready to make new friends and share your love for citizen science and birding
- Adult supervision is expected for all virtual meetings
Registration is now closed! However, you can still fill out the form below to be added to an e-mail list. We will email out birding activities for those who sign up below!