Summer Pest Survey Technician

Position Description:
The USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service’s Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) program has a vacancy for its 2022 summer survey program. The program is seeking qualified individuals at the GS 4 level to assist with the field survey for plant pests that are destructive to Maine’s forests and natural resources. The position runs from early to mid-June through late August and is located in Hermon, Maine. Work hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., but start time is somewhat flexible. The majority of the work will be in the field.

The work primarily involves traveling to trap sites and log yards, using GPS units to document locations, hanging various traps for insects of interest, collecting trap catches, preparing samples in the lab for shipment to identifiers, data entry into spreadsheets, and inspecting logs and other commodities for regulated pests. Other duties may be assigned as necessary. Work is primarily outdoors and may include moderate exposure to uncomfortable work conditions, such as working in adverse weather conditions and in difficult terrain. The work requires physical exertion to walk, bend, stoop, lift items of moderate weight, and climb or hike on slippery and uneven surfaces. Applicant must be at least 18 years of age and have a current driver’s license, as survey work may require several hours of driving daily on both highways and in off road conditions. Applicants must have good interpersonal skills and must work well independently and with others. Experience or training in insect and tree identification, plant pest surveys or other types of environmental surveys, and GPS use is preferred. On the job training will be provided for all aspects of the program.

Deadline for Application:
The position is available starting in early June. Start date is somewhat flexible. Applications will be accepted until March 31.

How to Apply:

Please contact the Plant Protection and Quarantine office at and , to indicate your interest in the position and to request application materials. Documents that will be needed include:
– A copy of your résumé with at least three references and any college transcripts will be required, along with “OF 306 – Declaration of Federal Employment” which is available at .
– DD-214 (Member 4 Copy) if claiming veteran’s preference, you must submit a DD-214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions that is signed no later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted.
– If claiming 10-point veteran’s preference you must provide the DD-214 or certification requirements (see above bullet), plus the proof of entitlement of this preference as listed on the SF-15 Application for 10-point Veterans’ Preference. The SF-15 should be included but is not required. Failure to submit these documents could result in the determination that there is insufficient
documentation to support your claim for 10-point preference. For more information on veterans’ preference see

Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political
affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.


Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the
application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
– An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
– An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
– An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.