Pesticide Applicator License Categories and Training Manuals
Before a pesticide applicator’s license can be issued, potential applicators must earn certification by passing the appropriate exam(s). Exams are based on the Pesticide Applicator Training Manuals. The exams you have to pass depend on the type of license you’re seeking and the category/commodity in which you’re required to be certified.
Below are brief descriptions of the license types with a list of the exam(s) required for each. To purchase a hard-copy manual, click on the exam name. Some manuals are also available as PDFs*. See the UMaine Cooperative Extension Store to browse manuals by license type.
*Please note PDFs cannot be downloaded immediately. We email them as attachments after the order has been processed.
AGRICULTURAL BASIC APPLICATOR
Required for growers who apply ONLY general-use pesticides to crops intended for human consumption on their property, or property leased/rented to them, and sell more than $1000 annually.
Required for growers who apply ANY restricted-use pesticides on their property or property rented/leased by them. Growers include farmers, foresters, greenhouse/nursery operators, florists, etc.
- CORE | PDF
- One of the following commodities (whichever is most applicable):
Pesticide Applicator Logbook (Free with Core Manual hard copy or may be purchased separately)
COMMERCIAL APPLICATOR – Operator
Required for applicators who apply pesticides for hire or make applications to non-agricultural areas accessible to the public, under the supervision of a master commercial applicator.
- CORE | PDF
- Minimum of one category (for EACH category you make applications in, you must be certified):
- 1A AGRICULTURAL – ANIMAL | PDF
- 1B AGRICULTURAL – PLANT | PDF
- 2 FOREST PEST MANAGEMENT
- 3A OUTDOOR ORNAMENTALS (Michigan 3B) & Browntail Moth Fact Sheet
- 3B TURF | PDF
- 3C INDOOR ORNAMENTALS | PDF
- 4 SEED TREATMENT | PDF
- 5A AQUATIC PEST CONTROL
- 5B SEWER ROOT CONTROL | PDF
- 6A RIGHT OF WAY VEGETATION MANAGEMENT | PDF
- 6B GENERAL VEGETATION MANAGEMENT | PDF
- 7A STRUCTURAL GENERAL PEST CONTROL (including non-fumigation applications to food processing facilities) | PDF
- 7B NON-SOIL/STRUCTURAL FUMIGATION (including potato fumigation) | PDF
- 7C1 DISINFECTANT & BIOCIDE TREATMENTS | PDF
- 7C2 SWIMMING POOL & SPA | PDF
- 7C3 MOLD REMEDIATION & WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION | PDF
- 7D WOOD PRESERVING | PDF
- 7E BITING FLY & OTHER ARTHROPOD VECTORS (ticks) | PDF
- 7F TERMITE PESTS | PDF
- 8A & 8B PUBLIC HEALTH* | PDF
- 9 REGULATORY PEST CONTROL* | PDF
- 10 DEMONSTRATION & RESEARCH PEST CONTROL†
- 11 AERIAL PEST CONTROL† | PDF
* Government officials only
† Requires an additional certification category
Note: Commercial operators cannot be certified in a category if their supervising master applicator is not also certified in that category.
COMMERCIAL APPLICATOR – Master
Required for applicators who apply pesticides for hire or make applications to non-agricultural areas accessible to the public and are primarily responsible for their company’s/organization’s/office’s pest management and pesticide use practices. Every company/organization/office that applies pesticides must have at least one individual with a master commercial applicator license.
- CORE | PDF
- Minimum of one category (for EACH category you make applications in, you must be certified) See list above.
- Regulations – Contact the Maine Board of Pesticides Control for the Regulations Manual
- Oral exam – Study using the Core and Regulations Manuals
GENERAL-USE PESTICIDE DISTRIBUTOR
For dealers of general-use pesticides only. No certification/exam is required to apply for this license.
RESTRICTED-USE PESTICIDE DISTRIBUTOR
Required for dealers of restricted-use pesticides.
The pesticide applicator training manuals are self-study guides. Allow yourself adequate time to read and understand the material before you take an exam.
All exams must be arranged with the Maine Board of Pesticides Control (BPC).
Individuals seeking commercial applicator certification should fill out and submit an exam application form. Generally, commercial exams must be taken in Augusta at the BPC office.
Individuals seeking private and agricultural basic applicator certifications should call the BPC office at 207-287-2731 to schedule exams.
After passing the appropriate exam(s), you can apply for a license.
See the BPC’s Publications & Forms page for exam and license applications.
- Add up the cost of the hard copy manuals or PDFs you would like to purchase. (If you are purchasing PDFs, do not include shipping).
- When you have the total of your purchase, please see the shipping rates below and add shipping accordingly. (i.e. manual purchase totals $21.00, you would add an additional $5.00 for shipping)
- Please add 5.5% Maine sales tax to your total manual purchase (less shipping).
- Please add a note with your check, listing the manuals you are requesting.
- Checks Payable to: Cooperative Extension
- Mail to: Diagnostic and Research Laboratory, Pest Management Unit, 17 Godfrey Drive, Orono, ME 04473-3692
Prices include shipping. Hard copy manuals ship on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
If you have questions please call 207.581.3884.