County Extension Association VolunteersRole Description
Executive Committee Volunteer
Volunteer opportunities are available in every county
Your local County Extension Association has openings for volunteers to serve on their Executive Committee and direct UMaine Extension educational activities. In partnership with UMaine Extension staff, the Executive Committee of each County Extension Association assists with providing input on local educational programming needs, helps hire staff, and oversees the county budget appropriations that support UMaine Extension educational programs for county residents.
UMaine Extension programs bring practical, research-based information from the University of Maine into the county to meet local needs.
UMaine Extension looks for independent, self motivated individuals to serve on their Executive Committees. Previous volunteer leadership experience, strong community connections, and a willingness to work as a team member are traits that will be beneficial to the organization.
To be successful as a board member, it helps to have previous volunteer leadership experience, strong community connections, and be willing to work as a team member.
In partnership with UMaine Extension staff, the Executive Committee of each County Extension Association assists with providing input on local educational programming needs, helps hire staff, and oversees the county budget appropriations that support UMaine Extension educational programs for county residents.
Work you may be involved with:
- Educate citizens, county commissioners, legislators and other community leaders regarding educational programs and their impacts
- Help develop the county’s plans of work based on high priority issues
- Help evaluate current programs
- Help prioritize staffing needs by making recommendations in selecting and hiring staff; review and offer advice about employee requests for sabbatical and educational leave
- Oversee the operations and preparation of the County Extension office budget and present to Commissioners at a public meeting
Attend the monthly meetings and commit to serve for a board term; the length of term varies by county. Sub-committees and leadership opportunities such as the annual meeting and budget committees are available and will increase your time commitment.
Volunteers can attend a monthly meeting prior to joining the Executive Committee, or elect to shadow a current member. Leadership positions are available once a new member has made a significant commitment to the Executive Committee. The monthly meetings serve as a formal check in and support for volunteers; a committee member’s professional relationship with other board members are valuable connections.
- Develop and refine leadership skills from conducting meetings, organizing events and community outreach
- Greater understanding of county needs based on reliable, research-based information from UMaine Extension
- Increased knowledge of programs and resources available in your county to address high priority areas of need
- Business and management skills from sharing ideas, providing big picture insight and direction
- UMaine Extension as a resource and support network
- Recognition at the annual meeting and a connection to a well established nationwide organization.
Each county office has a UMaine Extension staff liaison who will help support you with the work you will do.