Prepared by Jennifer L. D’Appollonio, Assistant Scientist, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469. March 2011.
Scientific name: Acer rubrum L.
Common name(s): red maple, swamp maple, scarlet maple
Images: (to see enlargements [PC]: click on image, then right click and choose “view image”)
-light gray bark
-shiny, red, hairless twigs dotted with white lenticels
- opposite with 3-5 lobes
- 3″-4″ long with sharp angled lobes
- dark green above and whitened underneath
- appear in clusters in April, before leaf buds open
- Male flowers, yellow-red, and female flowers bright scarlet
- appear on separate trees.
-Prefers wetter soils
-moderately well drained soils
Walters, Russel S, and Harry W Yawney. “Red Maple.” Acer Rubrum L, USDA, www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/misc/ag_654/volume_2/acer/rubrum.htm.