These are answers to our most asked questions. If you’ve any other questions, just ask!


My child has food allergies

In most cases we can accommodate food allergies, provided our kitchen staff are given advance notice. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs


Due to the increased prevalence of nut allergies, we have instituted a policy of not serving nut products in the meals we provide and ask all participants to refrain from bringing nuts or nut related products into camp.

Due to the variety of programs and activities taking place at camp,  we can not guarantee that we are a nut-free facility for those with severe allergies but we are doing our best to significantly reduce the risk of nut-related reactions. Please feel free to discuss your specific needs or our policies.

My child has specific dietary needs

Please contact us to discuss whether we can accommodate them. Our chefs are often able to create options suitable for most dietary needs.  Include detailed dietary needs in your child’s medical history.

Why can’t my child bring food to camp?

We ask that no food is brought (or mailed) to camp. The main reasons for this request are:

  1. Some campers have severe food allergies
  2. Food stored in cabins and our bunkhouse can attract wildlife

We have a wide selection of food available at mealtimes together with healthy snacks during recreation times, plus additional energy-rich food & snacks provided for those on hiking trips or other extended adventure activities.

Can my child have a Cell phone at camp?

Although we understand that many of our campers have cell phones, they are not allowed to have them at camp for a variety of reasons.  Parents that needs to contact their child my call our office.   This policy is for the safety of your camper.


A small period of homesickness is common with most new experiences. We do our best to orient campers quickly so they will become comfortable in the camp environment. Our staff is trained to help campers overcome being away from home.

Some hints for you to consider:

  • A positive pre-camp attitude is often the key to a successful camp experience. Prior to camp discuss things they can hope to get from their experience: new friends, songs and stories, learning about the natural world, good food, swimming, etc. Avoid telling your child they can come home “at any time” if things aren’t going well.


We do our best to make birthdays at camp extra-special and we ensure counselors are informed about any campers who have a birthday during the camp week.

Camp Life

Can our camper bunk with friends?

We attempt to put friends together in housing when indicated on the registration form or in correspondence with us prior to arrival at camp.  Remember, camp is a great place to make new friends and often strong friendships develop during the camp session.

Who are the counselors?

Our staff are chosen for their maturity, experience with youth, enthusiasm, and love of the outdoors. Some are former campers, many are from Maine,  many are college students and all are excited about camp. They participate in at least one week of staff orientation which includes safety/first aid, child development, program planning. All staff have thorough background checks through the University of Maine.

What if I have an accommodation need?

The University of Maine is committed to working with all students/campers and participants to meet their housing needs in a community that values diversity and promotes dignity of all. In complying with the letter and spirit of applicable laws and in pursuing its own goals of diversity, the University of Maine shall not discriminate on grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, including transgender status and gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. Recognizing all individual needs are varied, our sincere desire is to have a comfortable and welcoming living arrangement for all our campers. Campers who would like individual consideration regarding housing assignments due to gender identity/expression, please contact Ronald Fournier at 207.665.2068.

Can campers do laundry?

Laundry facilities at camp are for bed wetting or extenuating circumstances.  Please send enough clothing to last the entire one or two-week session.  Our four week session will have the opportunity to use a laundry facility.

Should we bring money?

Campers will not need money during their programs. 

My child lost something while they were at camp

While we do try to ensure campers go home with all of their belongings, inevitably some things remain. Please remember to label your campers belongings. Any items that are found are taken to our main office and the owners of labeled items contacted. All unmarked items are held till the end of the summer camp season.

If you discover that your child is missing anything, please contact us with a description of the item.


Can I send a letter to my child at camp?

Yes of course! Receiving letters/cards from home can mean a lot, even if your child is only at camp for a short time. Sometimes it can take a while for mail to reach us, so sending letters a little prior to you child arriving at camp can be useful!

Campers also have the opportunity to send mail home from camp.

For campers at Bryant Pond, address mail to: [Child’s name], University of Maine 4-H Camp and Learning Center at Bryant Pond, PO BOX 188, Bryant Pond, ME 04219

Can I e-mail my child at camp?

Sorry, but we cannot accept e-mails directed to campers.

In some extreme cases, such as communication from family overseas, please email the camp director and they will print and pass on your letter to your camper.

Can I call my child at camp?

If you have an emergency or concern for your child’s safety or well-being, please call the camp directors:

Bryant Pond: 207-665-2068

Can I visit my child at camp?

Because visits from parents distract campers and interrupt their daily routine, we ask you to avoid coming to camp for a visit while camp is in session. If a visit or early dismissal is necessary, prior arrangements must be made (preferably in writing) with the director.


My child takes medicines during the day

Each site has a healthcare provider who oversees all aspects of camper health care. All camper medicines are checked into the health care provider by parents/guardians during registration and are kept in our health center at all times (exceptions for inhalers and Epi-pens your child’s counselor will be assigned to carry these). Counselors are informed when their campers need to take medicines, we have a streamlined process for medication distributions.

Medical Care

In addition to a health care coordinator on site, Bryant Pond has standing orders with a local physician, and all staff are trained and certified in emergency care. If emergency hospital care is needed, we will take campers to Stephens Memorial Hospital.  You will be notified if your child shows signs of illness or need medical care.

What first-aid/safety provisions do you have?

The majority of our staff are Wilderness First Aid Certified, Many are also Wilderness First Responders.   The balance of our staff are Red Cross first aid certified.  All staff are CPR / AED certified. All field staff teams carry a med kit on their person.

All swimming activities are overseen by certified lifeguards; 

Registration Policies

Cancellations and Refunds

Cancellations recieved in writing 28 days (4 wks) prior to the start of the program will receive a refund of payments minus the $50 registration deposit.

Refunds will not be issued for cancellation made within 28 days (4wks) before the start of the program.

UMaine 4-H Camp does not refund program fees for sickness, homesickness, behavioral or voluntary withdrawal.  


While there are numerous forms to complete prior to camp, they are all necessary to protect your child, and to help make his/her camp experience the best possible. Remember when completing the medical form, that your child has already been accepted to camp and answers will not affect his/her status as a camper. The more complete the information we have about a child, the better we may be able to meet their needs.

Please complete the online forms or return printed forms to the main office in Bryant Pond at least 3 weeks prior to the start of your first session. You only need to complete these forms once per year, even if you attend multiple sessions.


A deposit is required upon registration. Full payment is due four weeks prior to the start of your camper’s program.  If you register online, you have the option to pay at registration with a credit or debit card or to return to the site to make additional payments later.